Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

January 2, 2014: Quick look in H-alpha

Just had a quick look with the little Lunt. Too blustery to do imaging, but got some nice views. A couple of big proms show up on the eastern limb. The one in the south is particularly great. Some good filaments show on the disk nearby. A bit further west a large AR with big sunspots and plage. Several other ARs form a nice string just south of the equator. A few fainter proms could be seen on the western limb.

Nice one Michael. I had a quick look with the Quark in the 60mm and it was looking very good. As you say, the southern prom was lovely. Did you see the faint prom to the North East ish, separated from the limb by quite a distance?

Great update Michael, although the sun  was out I didn't get to see it before finishing work :laugh: Its looking good for a lunar session tonight and I should be able give the Radian a shot.

Nice one Michael. I had a quick look with the Quark in the 60mm and it was looking very good. As you say, the southern prom was lovely. Did you see the faint prom to the North East ish, separated from the limb by quite a distance?

Didn't see the faint detached prom. The faint proms I spotted were firmly attached

Nice report, Michael. I really enjoyed seeing the big prom. I was hoping the big AR might kick off with some flares today but I didn't notice anything much going on in that department during my stint. There was an interesting 'blobby' prom that I couldn't see much structure on, but it was quite a size.

Archived