Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Help please - Canon 30d - broken!

Jonk

When I bought my kit last year, it came with a baader modified Canon 30d.

I didn't get round to using the camera properly as I was learning my way around the scope throughout the summer.

As I have a newer 70d as well, I figured if I opened the 30d to see if I could fit something to pull the heat away from the sensor. If it didn't work, I'd use the 70d (which I do for now).

Anyway...I may have been a bit heavy handed on one of the ribbons and damaged the holder. The ribbon sits in the socket but the holder doesn't snap down.

Another issue is when I fit the dc power supply (or battery I suppose, if I had one for it), the red LED comes on, regardless of the switch position.

The camera will not power up.

My question - does anyone on here repair Canon cameras, or know of somewhere affordable who does?

Obviously, the repair cost may not be worth it so I guess I can always sell on for spares or repairs.

Any help would be appreciated.

When I bought my kit last year, it came with a baader modified Canon 30d.

I didn't get round to using the camera properly as I was learning my way around the scope throughout the summer.

As I have a newer 70d as well, I figured if I opened the 30d to see if I could fit something to pull the heat away from the sensor. If it didn't work, I'd use the 70d (which I do for now).

Anyway...I may have been a bit heavy handed on one of the ribbons and damaged the holder. The ribbon sits in the socket but the holder doesn't snap down.

Another issue is when I fit the dc power supply (or battery I suppose, if I had one for it), the red LED comes on, regardless of the switch position.

The camera will not power up.

My question - does anyone on here repair Canon cameras, or know of somewhere affordable who does?

Obviously, the repair cost may not be worth it so I guess I can always sell on for spares or repairs.

Any help would be appreciated.

The used value of one of these cameras is about £80.00 with a bit of wind behind it. I doubt very much if anyone would even attempt to repair one of these as these are so old. I would try and reconnect the ribbon and hope for the best, failing that you could get a properly working 1000d with a baader mod for about £150.00~£200.00.

A.G

The problem is, I don't know if it is that ribbon that's caused the fault....it could be static damage...it could be another connection disturbed.

I'm waiting on a reply from astronomiser (Andy) so if he agrees it's not worth it, i may disassemble / reassemble again a few times and hope for the best.

If not, it'll go on ebay as faulty - it may be worth something with the Baader filter fitted.

I rarely throw things away!

Archived