NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

help with eyepiece projection

Hi, I've always wanted to get into some kind of astrophotography, and i've looked at eyepiece projection to attach my dslr but every time I try and figure out what I need to fit my televue  2" naglers and panoptics to my camera I hit a dead end with confusion. Can someone list me all the accessories I need to get me going with this? seems I need 3 different things from different pictures I've looked at. I've searched for the televue EPA-0007 but can't find any for sale and all the others are to small to support my ep's. cheers

I don't have TV Naglers so I do not know if they have a suitable thread for a T ring to adapt to your camera.

The Baader range do and it is very simple. I would avoid the 8-24mm zoom for afocal photography as I found that its sharp focus area was confined to about 60-80% of the centre depending on the settting. It was OK visually.

But their fixed focal length EP's are very good.

Back to your lens, does it have a thread at the eye end? If it does check the spec of the thread then get a T ring. You might need a spacer to acheive focus.

What OTA are you using?

I don't have TV Naglers so I do not know if they have a suitable thread for a T ring to adapt to your camera.

The Baader range do and it is very simple. I would avoid the 8-24mm zoom for afocal photography as I found that its sharp focus area was confined to about 60-80% of the centre depending on the settting. It was OK visually.

Back to your lens, does it have a thread at the eye end? If it does check the spec of the thread then get a T ring. You might need a spacer to acheive focus.

What OTA are you using?

I'm using the skyliner 300p, The nagler has a lip but no thread unfortunately and guessing its the same for my other televues. :(

As Baggywrinkle says the Baaders are designed just for this job with loads of options for attachment. I use my Baader 8mm and the adapter to attach my 60D making planetary imaging that bit easier.

So before I consider buying more EP's is it even possible to use eyepiece projection with Nagler and Delos EPs? still can't find a large enough extension for them

What OTA are you using?

I just checked the bottom end of the EPs and they do in fact have threads on them, i was looking at the top where you look through... what next?

I may be wrong but before I spent any more I would research both the best type of scope for astrophotography and also whether eyepiece projection is a method which often yields good results.

Personally I suspect the answer to both in your case may be no.

My assumption from the original post is that EPP was to be used for planetary imaging, which is a frequent way to do it.  If you check the images of Mars, Jupiter and Saturn on my Flickr link, that's how they were done.  However, if you have other target desires or just an Alt/Az Dob mount then heed the words of Moonshane.  I would not attempt to image anything with my 300 Flextube!  The threads at the 'bottom' of your EPs are primarily for filter use.  The Baaders have threads at the eye lens end to take an M48 adaptor and T ring.

My assumption from the original post is that EPP was to be used for planetary imaging, which is a frequent way to do it.  If you check the images of Mars, Jupiter and Saturn on my Flickr link, that's how they were done.  However, if you have other target desires or just an Alt/Az Dob mount then heed the words of Moonshane.  I would not attempt to image anything with my 300 Flextube!  The threads at the 'bottom' of your EPs are primarily for filter use.  The Baaders have threads at the eye lens end to take an M48 adaptor and T ring.

yes, planetary imaging, should have mentioned it in my first post sorry guys :p thanks for your help, think i'll need to just get different ep's :(

Archived