Hello from a pair of new oldies.

Hi all!

First of all, some of you may have already read this in the Introduction Forum, but I was advised to post it here as well, as it might receive more answers about  our choice of equipment.

My name is Geoff and I am 70 years young. I lost my wife quite a number years ago and I am happy to say, I have now found my perfect partner Wendy, through a Senior Citizens dating agency. We have been together now for just over twelve months and plan on getting married later in 2015. We are both now living together (I know! In sin, but we are old enough by now    :rolleyes: ). We are both interested in astronomy and we have talked about buying a telescope for a few months now and decided that it would be a nice Christmas present for us both. We decided on something moderate to start with, for both price and size in mind, as we are both pensioners and can't afford anything to expensive just yet.  After reading various reviews we have decided to go for the Orion 4.5" StrarBlast, with alt/azz table mount. We thought this would be a reasonable size to start with.

It has received excellent reviews over on Amazon.com and seems quite a popular model in the US.

We are still waiting for delivery, as we only placed the order on Christmas Eve, after much debate of what to go for. ( I think Wendy got her way, because she liked the colour of the Orion StarBlast ). We are expecting delivery early January. Meanwhile we have been using a rather large, but powerful pair of binoculars, which I bought on a car boot sale last summer, for would you believe it, yes just £35. New on line, cost over £260. They are very good with a very high magnification and are in reasonable condition, complete with padded carry case. Sungar 30 - 160 x 70 BCF Mega Zoom. They are quite heavy and very hard to view any starry objects on magnification above about 70, due to shake. Maybe a decent tripod would be advisable. The moon is a joy to behold through them even on the lowest power.

Anyway, here we are! Just waiting for the telescope to arrive now, so just hope we have made a good choice for starters. Maybe in a few years we will go for something a bit bigger with a EA mount and maybe with Go To as well. But what we already have should suffice for now. I would appreciate any feedback on both items we have described and how to get the best use from them. I was thinking of a smaller pair of Binoculars as well, because the Sungar we have, are rather large. Any suggestions?

Once we get familiar with our equipment, I will let you all know how we are getting on with our nightly antics in the garden, with regular reports.

These will hopefully be posted on a fortnightly basis, but do expect a bit of humour as well. Although this is a serious hobby, a little bit of fun thrown in along the way, does no harm either.  :grin:

Happy stargazing everyone!    :smiley:  

Sounds good to me. I think fun and frustration are just around the corner ...

Don't know enough to comment on the scope but enjoy the journey and keep posting. Lots of people here to help with just about anything.

Clear Skies!

p.s. More fun than frustration, I hope ... :-)

Sorry, I can't really help with the 'scope but with regards tto your large bins (binoculars), if you turn a broom up-side-down and rest them on the furry end, it really helps hold them still (er). good luck geoff and co. 

Sounds good to me. I think fun and frustration are just around the corner ...

Don't know enough to comment on the scope but enjoy the journey and keep posting. Lots of people here to help with just about anything.

Clear Skies!

p.s. More fun than frustration, I hope ... :-)

Sorry, I can't really help with the 'scope but with regards tto your large bins (binoculars), if you turn a broom up-side-down and rest them on the furry end, it really helps hold them still (er). good luck geoff and co. 

Regarding smaller binoculars I decided on some 8x40's, the lower magnification helps with hand held steadiness but I find the wide field of view they can provide a real boon. This is what I have. :smiley:

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/helios/helios-naturesport-plus-8x40-wa.html

Thank you all so far with your replies and suggestions  :smiley:

Frustration definitely around the corner from us old pair and a bit of fun thrown in for good measure  :shocked:

Now why didn't I think of that! Using an upturned broom handle as a rest for my bins. I think I have just won the sweep  :laugh:  Must make sure it's a soft broom though, don't fancy getting the rough end of a stiff one!

Laurie, those 8 x 40 seem just the ticket. I like the idea of large eye pieces too. Might suit Wendy better as well. Can't afford two pairs just yet, so Wendy will get second look.  :laugh:

Keep the advice coming, even it I already know already, which is not a lot.

Wrap up warm and enjoy the night sky, Geoff and Wendy :grin: These winter months it is like a magic lantern, full of wonder, strange creatures and some of the most gorgeous displays of nature. 

On cloudy nights, you might find the following links useful:

Collimation & Star Hopping

Planning Sessions

You might also be able to glean a tip or two from this.

Other than that, I'm not sure but I think you need a collimation tool for your scope. This is something all Newtonian owners must have and they can be picked up quite cheaply at First Light Optics.

Welcome to SGL and please, don't stop asking question as and when the need arises :grin:

Those Helios 8x40s are awesome, for wide field views, and no shakes? Also download STELLARIUM. its FREE and a great planetarium type facility to learn and find your way around the skies. Just remember to set your area, and save that in the configuration panel. Enjoy your new hobby

Archived