NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

QSI filter wheel screw thread size

Philip Benson

This carousel is designed for unmounted filters? Mounted filters simply thread into the holes in the carousel.

The screws you need will not be M3 but imperial. (Ironic that only America now uses 'imperial' - and most annoying of them. Don't mention the Mars Lander...)

Olly

I have just purchased a QSI 683 camera along with 31mm filters.   My filter wheel doesn't have any screws included to secure the filters so does anyone know the thread size so I can get some for myself?   I guessing they are about an M3 thread?

Many thanks

Hi Philip,

Go to the QSI website( /documentation.html). Look at page 75 of the RS 683 documentation, it's not just screws that you need. I strongly suggest getting the bits from Ian King or some dealer. Cracking a filter is very expensive :mad: .

Regards,

Derek

The filter carousel was redesigned a few years ago to take both mounted and unmounted filters, so that by using unmounted filters then vignetting could be minimised with very fast optics.

If you bought your camera new then you need to contact the supplier as the camera is shipped with a kit of differing length filter mounting screws and special shaped washers that are used in various configurations depending on the filter thickness.

I can't post a copy of the dimensional drawing directly here as the technical drawing is copyrighted but it is freely available on the QSI website, here is a link to the technical drawing on the QSI website that shows the imperial screw sizes and washer combinations for different thickness unmounted filters. The filter drawings are on the third sheet.

http://qsimaging.com/downloads/500-Series-Cust-Ref-RevH1.PDF

As an after thought, check under the removable piece of foam rubber lining the camera body well of the PELI case, I seem to recall my bag of screws and washers were hidden below that piece of foam when I received my 683 a few years back.

William

Thanks all for your replies - especially oddsocks.  The drawings are exactly what I needed and I will indeed check the pelicase as you suggest in case the screws and washers are hidden in there.  

In a way its my own fault as I should have waited until Ian had stock of the 1.25" filters which would screw straight in.   But you know how it is don't you when you have a lovely camera sitting there good to go but without any filters!   I see TS supply blank 1.25" mounts.  For the small cost involved I think I will order some of those.

Archived