Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Constellation Taurus with "nifty fifty"

Amra

Last night had some clear skies, they didn't last for long, but I opted for some quick widefield DSO imaging & managed to bag a part of Constellation Taurus.

Lens settings:
Canon EF 50 mm f/1.8 "nifty fifty" @ f/4.5. ISO400 10 minute autoguided subs.

(Click image for AstroBin higher resolution & aquistion info) or if you prefer imgur, click here

zQV5kgol.jpg

Here's a picture of my equipment setup & beautiful night sky!

0dGJkrrl.jpg

I'm well pleased with how the image turned out, it's not often I manage to get autoguiding setup & working perfectly in 30 minutes, but on some evening it just clicks & your equipment behaves exactly as it should, which is a real joy. :)

I appreciate the feedback Olly!

I did colour balancing in PixInsight with the ColorCalibration tool, and usually I find it's pretty spot on, but this time it seemed a tiny bit off, I actually don't know yet how to adjust just the reds in PI, will have to look into that. What do you mean when you say the sky tones look a bit cold? Do you mean too dark?

I can make the data available for download (will take a while to upload with my crappy upload rate though) if you'd like to take a crack at it, don't know what format you'd prefer, 16-bit TIFF? PI saves everything in a format called .xifs since quite recently.

I appreciate the feedback Olly!

I did colour balancing in PixInsight with the ColorCalibration tool, and usually I find it's pretty spot on, but this time it seemed a tiny bit off, I actually don't know yet how to adjust just the reds in PI, will have to look into that. What do you mean when you say the sky tones look a bit cold? Do you mean too dark?

I can make the data available for download (will take a while to upload with my crappy upload rate though) if you'd like to take a crack at it, don't know what format you'd prefer, 16-bit TIFF? PI saves everything in a format called .xifs since quite recently.

No, too blue. Only a little, though. I measure them in Photoshop (neutral background sky, not dust lanes) and aim for 23 per channel. I'll then adjust this by eye sometimes because the colour of the principal objects can affect the way we perceive colours around them.

I don't do CB in Pixinsight but I guess you could try giving a small extra log stretch just to red. This really is just a guess though.

Ollyu

Archived