Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Christmas night

jason.p

Managed to slip out having set up early evening. Clouds around, but beautiful clear patch to the North West, which included the rising Orion. I always like to start off checking out a few doubles, but unfortunately the double double and Albireo were obscured so over to Rigel which I had always found a challenge. This time perhaps the best I've seen it! Then the belt. Mintaka easy but nice. Alnilam maybe only with "averted imagination" , Alnitak I've never done (is it possible?).

Sky cleared a bit to the North, so I swung round to Mizar, then Castor, both nice splits. To finish off, I went back to Orion and spent about 20mins on Betelgeuse thinking how amazing it would be if it blew while I was watching. It didn't. Temperature now down to minus 2c, and my Port and Stilton was calling.

Happy new year and clear skies to all

Jason

It's funny you said that about Betelgeuse :evil:  I did the exact same thing the night before last as I watched it rise through the tops of the trees on a nearby hillside.

I was a bit clouded out last night myself but all mine were to the north but I was able to see the pole star long enough to get set-up. Looked in on Castor as well, Rigel is always easy for me but the star is a good deal higher in my sky than in England.

Nice report :smiley:!!

Seasons greetings to you too Jason :smiley:

I didn't get out with a scope last night due to social commitments but I did manage to slip out a couple of times and raise a glass to the Universe :smiley:

There were some lovely clear patches between the light clouds.

I've managed to split Alnitak with my ED120 refractor a couple of weeks back. I've managed it before as well but I'd rather forgotten about it as a double star as my attention seems to get drawn to Sigma Orionis when in that part of the sky. It's a nice bright, if uneven, pair with around 3 arc seconds between them.

With all the money they are wasting on getting people to an asteroid and/or Mars, they could be getting a drive developed

to enable us to send something out to give Betelgeuse a push. Yes we would lose a bright star, but we would replace it with

a bright expanding bubble of Joy at most EM wavelengths (sighs and brushed hand through hair).

I also had a Cracking Cristmas night out, With Europa and Ganymede getting it on (Occultation), Comet Q2 Arriving in our skies

(Bins from the beach, then Newt).  both well worth a couple of hour of anyone's time.

And a relaxed tour around Binocular Favourites Like M42, Pliedes, Praesipae. and the Double Cluster.

Unfortunately, my position Right by the kitchen door has seen the Mince-pie mountain reduced to a medium sized Barrow,

but hey, Iv'e got countless rainy nights on which to get my paunch reduced,  (Throwing paper balls for the cats).

Merry,  err,,,,,,,,,,,,Boxing

Mick

Archived