Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Adapter SW coma corrector to 1.25" camera?

Russe

What camera are you trying to connect? If its a camera with a removeable 1.25" nosepiece (like the QHY), then it has a T-thread (so all you need is M48-T2). 

If its the webcam, that might be more tricky because the backfocus of the chip is unknown - which means your spacing will be only a rough guesstimate. But given the microscopic size of the chips on webcams you wont be imaging on any uncorrected part of the field. As far as connecting it you need something that goes from M48 - 1.25" push fit, but you need to ensure its not too long (no more than 30 - 35mm ish).

Thanks for your answers guys.

I'm going to try to attach an ATIK camera...

so I need an adapter that screws into the coma corrector and comes out as a 1.25" - so I basically need a threaded 2" to 1.25" adapter that fits onto the SW CC...

When you buy the SW CC it comes with 3 pieces (as far as I remember...). The CC, the ring that screws into a SW reflector focuser tube and a 2" extension tube of about 2 inches length.

into the extension tube, I could put my own cheap 2" to 1.25" adapter (see above) but then I'd have an extension of about (uh I dont know) 3 inches? that'd be a b* to balance...

Dont try that TS M54 adaptor mate, its M54 thread is too short (mine nearly fell out, with camera attached!). I replaced that with a custom built M54-M48 adaptor with a much longer M54 thread, its basically:

This:

http://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/info/p4744_TS-M48-tilter---Tilting-compensation-for-field-tipping-in-astro-photography.html

Allen screwed to this:

http://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/info/p4147_Skywatcher-short-design-2--adapter-for-Crayford-focusers.html

The thread for the custom adaptor is here:

http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/215645-skywatcher-focuser-mod-mkii/?hl=%2Bfocuser+%2Bmod#entry2311103

Good to see you figured out the 314 can be connected to the CC by going T2-M48, really you should now be avoiding push fit at any opportunity. But, as far as seating it in your focuser is concerned - the 314L is a pretty light camera so you dont need to over-engineer things like I did.

All you need to do is drill and tap a third thumb screw hole on your 2" EP holder, if you use three screws it prevents the CC from rocking about in the focuser (albeit by minute amounts) as you slew the mount around. Its an M4 tap you need, and preferably access to a bench drill so you can do it properly. Once the hole is drilled, its fairly easy to tap since its only aluminium. Be sure to check what drill size you need for an M4 hole (its something like 3.5mm), there are tables online to give you the best drill size.

In regard to spacing, check this technical spec for the 314, it tells you what you need to know (ie: distance from tip of camera nosepiece to chip = 13.1mm). Which leaves you with a gap of 41.9mm left (+/- a couple of mm). But remember, with the skywatcher CC going over 55mm increases the reduction factor - when youre at 57mm its more like a 0.85x reducer, and then youre nearly knocking on the door of f4. You might get away with it given the 314 chip size ;)

http://www.dangl.at/ausruest/atik_314/atik_314_e.htm

Oh, i need to add that any mod like mine (internally mounted CC) wont work with the skywatcher CC in its basic state because its collar is non-removeable. In order to make it work I had to take a hacksaw to mine and chop the collar off (quite risky). I now use the Badder since its collar is removeable so it can be internally mounted, and it doesnt freak out when I point it at a bright star.

Archived