NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Can't take flats for toffee!

Hi everyone,

Just a quick one: I can't take flats to save my life which means my images are cropped massively therefore extremely noisy. I use a canon 1000D modded against a white laptop screen. Can anyone suggest a time for the frames? I read about ADU? What number should this be and where can you see this number?

Thanks

Cam

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

People tend to talk about ADU for taking fits files.  The subs from the Canon DSLR will be RAW files.

For a DSLR you need 100 iso and AV settings and the white screen shouldn't be bright, just a dull even light.  Do not move the orientation or focus of your camera before taking your flats.

Look at the histogram and trying to get the peak between 1/3 from the left and halfway.  You can view this on Digital photo professional (part of the Canon Utility software).  If the flats are over-exposed they won't work.

HTH

Carole

Carole, from what you've said my flats must be too bright.

Would explain why they don't usually work very well  :D 

I am speaking form personal experience lol, as I over-exposed my flats when i first started and wondered why they didn't seem to work.  Luckily some kind soul pointed me in the right direction.

Carole 

Archived