NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Is it worth buying better eyepieces if I am in a light polluted area?

lostpleiad

On 11/12/2014 at 13:16, John said:

I agree with Lowjiber. While the light pollution can't be overcome without observing from somewhere else, you can use a little more magnification to darken the background "glow" which will help with deep sky viewing. I have some light pollution where I observe and consequently don't find my 31mm eyepiece as good as my 21mm or 13mm for viewing the deep sky. To complement the additional magnification, wide or ultra wide eyepieces can still show a generous field of view.

So there may be a role that wider angle eyepieces could play in helping you make the best of your observing circumstances.

I also have an Orion XT8 dobsonian and am looking to upgrade from the stock eyepieces. Living under bortle 6, maybe 7 skies means this thread is really relevant and useful. I was planning on going for a couple of BSTs but I've seen you say good things about the 82° Nirvanas so, based on your advice of going higher mag complimented by wider FOV, I think I'd be better off going for the 16mm for DSOs. Before I part with my money I just wanted to check that it would be decent (I say decent as I'm being realistic with the sub £80 price tag) at f5.9, I think you have experience of the Nirvanas at f6? Any advice would be much appreciated. 

25 minutes ago, LottJT said:

I also have an Orion XT8 dobsonian and am looking to upgrade from the stock eyepieces. Living under bortle 6, maybe 7 skies means this thread is really relevant and useful. I was planning on going for a couple of BSTs but I've seen you say good things about the 82° Nirvanas so, based on your advice of going higher mag complimented by wider FOV, I think I'd be better off going for the 16mm for DSOs. Before I part with my money I just wanted to check that it would be decent (I say decent as I'm being realistic with the sub £80 price tag) at f5.9, I think you have experience of the Nirvanas at f6? Any advice would be much appreciated. 

The 16mm Nirvana would work well at F/5.9 I think. The extreme edges of the field of view might not be 100% perfect but the majority of the field of view will be very nice. They are very good value currently for an 82 degree eyepiece.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, John said:

The 16mm Nirvana would work well at F/5.9 I think. The extreme edges of the field of view might not be 100% perfect but the majority of the field of view will be very nice. They are very good value currently for an 82 degree eyepiece.

Yes, they do seem like good value from the shopping around I've been doing. I'm going to get one and then try to decide whether to get the 7mm too or a 12mm BST as I try to upgrade my EP selection. Thanks for your help, I know it can be personal preference but it's still reassuring to learn from others' experience before spending your hard earned money. 

Just now, johninderby said:

Thanks for the heads up. I did actually enquire but the seller said they have are no longer selling due to lack of interest. That confused me a little if I'm honest as I'm interested but it's obviously their choice. 

16 hours ago, LottJT said:

Thanks for the heads up. I did actually enquire but the seller said they have are no longer selling due to lack of interest. That confused me a little if I'm honest as I'm interested but it's obviously their choice. 

I've queried that with the seller. Hopefully they will confirm one way or another ASAP.

6 hours ago, John said:

I've queried that with the seller. Hopefully they will confirm one way or another ASAP.

With the seller saying that it was no longer for sale I bought the it from FLO along with a 12mm BST Starguider as I'm in a bit of a hurry to upgrade from the stock EPs.

Thanks for querying though, if it does become available again it will hopefully benefit someone else. 

• Like 2

On 10/05/2020 at 22:14, LottJT said:

Thanks for the heads up. I did actually enquire but the seller said they have are no longer selling due to lack of interest. That confused me a little if I'm honest  

I am not surprised you are confused 🤔 . I am still trying to make sense of that answer 🤔

11 hours ago, LottJT said:

With the seller saying that it was no longer for sale I bought the it from FLO along with a 12mm BST Starguider as I'm in a bit of a hurry to upgrade from the stock EPs.

Thanks for querying though, if it does become available again it will hopefully benefit someone else. 

I don't think you will go far wrong with those upgrades in eyepieces. 👍

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Timebandit said:

I am not surprised you are confused 🤔 . I am still trying to make sense of that answer 🤔

I don't think you will go far wrong with those upgrades in eyepieces. 👍

That's good to hear. I've obviously got no experience so have tried to do quite a bit of reading up and based on what others have said these seem like a good start. I'm hoping I can barlow the 16mm Nirvana for higher magnification but if not will think about getting the 7mm Nirvana too when I can afford it. 

• 2 weeks later...

It is a fact that as you increase magnification so does your limiting magnitude, although there are diminishing returns, and considerations such as seeing and optical quality. Try it. Download a variable  star chart from the BAAVSS or AAVSO. Take my 6” Dobsonian a couple of nights ago at x40, the limiting mag was 11.5, at x105, 12.4 and x220, 13.1.