Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Light pollution filter

I have purchased a Canon EOS 300D for introductory astrophotography but live in a cul de sac with 3 streetlights to contend with my viewing/photography. As a newbie to astrophotography ( which i will now just type AP...lol) ..i have bought a Baader UHC-S Nebula-Filter for future but would this be a good but for planetry and moon photography ?

link

http://www.astronomik.com/en/checkout/cart/

Regards Paul...any other advice gladly accepted...

Well.. I don't think the particular filter will help with moon or planetary work but its superb in taking photos of emission nebula from light polluted areas!

I have had the same setup (350D + UHC-S) and took some awesome pictures of M8, M16 and other emission nebula, straight from the center of Athens where light pollution is at its "best" :mad:

Also, though I haven't got any hands on experience, I think the best way to shoot planets is actually by taking videos of them and stack a ludicrous amount of frames to form an image.

Clear skies!

For me it wasn't just a box accessory, but a total game changer :)

It was when I first started to tackle AP and due to the hight light pollution the pre filter results where really disappointing.

Of course it depends on the amount of pollution at your specific spot, but I was using it an as a contrast booster on dark sites + I was shooting even with nearly full moon on!

Overall I would say its a great accessory for newcomers in AP to get heart and "dive deeper".

You should take my word with a grain of salt, as I am into AP for less than a year and those are my personal views, more experienced people might chime in with different opinions :D

A CLS filter is more specific for cutting out light pollution and works very well. You can clip in ones for Canon cameras. Remember that a filter like this allows you to take longer exposures before saturation due to light pollution. Software can also be very efficient at removing light pollution as well. A lot of people use both techniques combined.

Narrow band filters are also very good at blocking out LP but remeber Ha sensitivity on standard cameras is low unless their internal filters are removed.

Patrick

Would you recommend the filter removal if it was yours ? and if so what approx is the cost and can it be done D.I.Y ..also you mention narrow band filters ...any to recommend...Thanks very much guys for your replies...much appreciated. Could you recommend filters etc for me to purchase that your experience has given you...As my sig states i have a Nikon D50 and a canon Eos 300d and am swayed to use the Canon from my limited research...

The lenses i have for the Canon are as follows:

80-200mm

EFS 18-55mm

Optomax 400mm with telephoto x2 with a M42 adaptor

Its with these in mind i am looking to go forward ...

Thanks in advance on what your experience would guide me..

I am currently reading "Every Photon counts" but want to get out there and take pics...

The Astronomik CLS filter is good, but do check whether you can use it with your lenses...I'm certain I read somewhere (perhaps in the instructions!) that you couldn't use certain type fittings, but it's all so long ago...:)

The Astronomik CLS filter is good, but do check whether you can use it with your lenses...I'm certain I read somewhere (perhaps in the instructions!) that you couldn't use certain type fittings, but it's all so long ago... :)

I too seem to recall that they cannot be used with ef-s lenses due to the additional depth that the fitting requires, but are ok with ef.   If you use 2" eyepieces, it is worth considering a 2" CLS filter which can then be also used with a step-down ring, to fit on the front of some of the older Canon EF lenses which have a 52mm filter size.  There will be some vignetting, but that can be cropped.

So......tonights forecast was iffy...but not to be down hearted decided to take the AR-127s on the sturdy EQ5 mount  out and try my luck......connected the scope to mount ,,,eyepiece fitted plossl 26mm and adjusted to focus the moon ( lol small bright round thing) ...superb view...

Then i thought get a pic.....so went indoors  and connected the Canon EOS 300d camera to telescope adapter....set to manual ..ISO 400

went back outdoors removed the 26mm plossl inserted the camera and ....and ......and..

this is where it all went wrong....a great big fuzzy light patch appeared through the viewfinder so..which the telescope focus could not fix and i have no lens attached to the camera to focus either...

Help required ...please..

Archived