NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Leica zoom and 1.8x extender

GavStar

I got my first use of the leica zoom and extender last night on Jupiter and m42. With the extender the range is 5mm to 9mm which is great for my needs. For comparison I used the Delos 4.5 and 6mm and the views were basically the same (apart from the Leica having a wider fov at the highest magnification). One thing I did notice was that as I changed the magnification I did need to change the focus a little.

But in summary very pleased indeed.

post-28747-0-91122200-1417367536_thumb.j

Interesting post Gavster. Sounds like a good combination, looks very compact. I have not heard of the 1.8 extender before. I assume you fit this to the zoom then still need to add a 2" adapter?

I've recently bought a TV x2.5 PowerMate, and with the T2 adaptor it fits neatly in front of the T2 prism giving me 3.5mm to 7.1mm which suits my scopes well for high power.

Have yet to try it out unfortunately, the Leica is being repaired and the weather has rubbish too, but am looking forward to it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stu,

Yes the extender is designed for the Leica spotting scopes so has the same connection type as the zoom eyepiece and therefore you still need a 2 inch adapter. The extender has only been on the market a couple of months - I wanted a relatively compact arrangement so got this rather than use a barlow. Very good eye relief and easy to use as well.

Gavin

Archived