Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Wearing glasses when focusing and viewing

I seem to be the odd one out here in that I've adapted to generally viewing with my verifocals on. I hate the on-off-on-off thing and if they aren't kept warm they instantly fog up on me ... I'd prefer not to use them but it's the lesser of the evils in my opinion. I can see a lovely image through the eyepiece but can't read the star map, see the sky, use the finder or basically see anything that isn't in the eyepiece! I have to say that you need to match eyepieces and specs though - my specs fit very close to my eyebrows which minimises the extra eye relief required and maximises the visible field.

AndyG

I really need to wear my glasses for the best optical image looking through my Telrad? but everything else, the Finder, Eyepiece or Binoculars  I don't require the varifocals. 

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think you might have misread his question there. He asked if someone focused without their glasses. :)

If I focused my scope without my glasses it wouldn't be in focus for anyone else.

Quite possibly. ;) As a direct answer, no, I remove my spectacles when using the telescope, I have varifocals and find they are worse than useless with the telescope or in fact using the laptop.

As regards other people using my telescopes, I expect them to have to tweak the focus for their own use when visually observing, although I have a fixed focal pair of specs for use with the camera, without which I couldn't read the screen never mind focus manually.

2 different scenarios, Visual - Imaging.

Visual - using the telescope + eyepiece for the photons to go directly into your eye. No glasses.

Imaging - telescope + camera and then looking at the captured image on a screen of some sort, camera, PC...Fixed focus glasses.

Archived