NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Know your constellations!!

Paul M

I'm famous for having very poor general knowledge and poor memory recall on things I do know.

History, humanities, sport, celebrities, film, food and wine, feng shui, fashion, South Korean pop music....you name it and I don't have a clue :) 

But I do enjoy watching "Pointless" the UK quiz show on BBC1 at tea time.

The other night they had questions on the names of animals in Italian. Some were obviously contortions of their English name (or vice versa). One in particular caught my eye "Lupo".

Dead easy that one. I shouted the wife so that she could watch me score. While the contestants cogitated I explained that the constellation of "lupus" is (you know what coming don't you?) a hare. I know that cus it's a constellation and I know constellations, innit.

By now it's eating into Neighbours on Ch5 and I've been told to go and get my shower 10 time already. But I'm going to score so it's worth all the trouble.

One of the contestants was Italian by birth and knew all the answers and when he casually said that Lupo was a wolf I realised I was in trouble. I was getting that look over the wife's glasses...

Before his answers were confirmed I was already on Google. Sometimes Goggle isn't your friend :(

Who'd have thunk it? There is a "Lupus" and a "Lepus". If I'm honest I've probably been using both names interchangeably in ignorant bliss. 

Blast those southern constellations!!

I'm famous for having very poor general knowledge and poor memory recall on things I do know.

History, humanities, sport, celebrities, film, food and wine, feng shui, fashion, South Korean pop music....you name it and I don't have a clue :) 

But I do enjoy watching "Pointless" the UK quiz show on BBC1 at tea time.

The other night they had questions on the names of animals in Italian. Some were obviously contortions of their English name (or vice versa). One in particular caught my eye "Lupo".

Dead easy that one. I shouted the wife so that she could watch me score. While the contestants cogitated I explained that the constellation of "lupus" is (you know what coming don't you?) a hare. I know that cus it's a constellation and I know constellations, innit.

By now it's eating into Neighbours on Ch5 and I've been told to go and get my shower 10 time already. But I'm going to score so it's worth all the trouble.

One of the contestants was Italian by birth and knew all the answers and when he casually said that Lupo was a wolf I realised I was in trouble. I was getting that look over the wife's glasses...

Before his answers were confirmed I was already on Google. Sometimes Goggle isn't your friend :(

Who'd have thunk it? There is a "Lupus" and a "Lepus". If I'm honest I've probably been using both names interchangeably in ignorant bliss. 

Blast those southern constellations!!

Aah yes anything Lupine is wolf like, just think Prof Lupin in Harry Potter!

Aah yes anything Lupine is wolf like, just think Prof Lupin in Harry Potter!

Indeed, but I forgot to include Harry Potter in my list of things I know absolutely nothing about!

Never read the books or seen the films...

Archived