Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

EQ6 Worm idea?

sbooder

I think I have just had a brainwave. 

What if we did away with the Worm retaining nut on the non drive side of each axis completely and replaced them with the correct size and strength springs between the worm bearing and the screw in cap? Or indeed, just put a spring between the retaining nut and the bearing?

This would keep the tension on the worm and help eliminate backlash as the worm could be tighter to the worm wheel , not a lot of course because there is no allowance for up and down movement of the worm but it would allow for more lateral movement when needed.

I know someone is going to shoot me down in flames in a while, but worth thinking about?

Some time back i tried to lose the end float and in the end i cut off the end of a feeler gauge thick enough to stop the end play when the black plastic end stop got screwed back in, i have since done it properly, you idea sound ok but may require a threaded tube to get the space for a decent spring inside it.....anybody know the thread size...??

Some time back i tried to lose the end float and in the end i cut off the end of a feeler gauge thick enough to stop the end play when the black plastic end stop got screwed back in, i have since done it properly, you idea sound ok but may require a threaded tube to get the space for a decent spring inside it.....anybody know the thread size...??

The threaded tube is a good idea to stop any damage to the existing thread so it could be reversed if necessary. It would have to stop shy of the worm bearing to allow for movement though.

I am not sure I am with you here, when you say end play, are you talking about the worm float? And if so, why would you want to get rid of it, it is the float that allows the worm to give if a high spot on the worm wheel comes round, if you lose the float it will bind.

i'm referring to the end play, if your remove the non adjustable plug and move the mount and play will cause the worm spindle to move in and out, i stopped this with some feeler gauges initially then adjusted out the play later, a spring tensioner would stop any play but still allow the worm to turn.....

I was talking with one of our members earlier in the week, we were both quite shocked that 'something' was needed in the first place.

What we did discuss was making a new metal cap to replace the plastic one and use a ball bearing onto the end of the shaft to stop it moving in and out and then adjust the amount of travel at the other end.

Archived