NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

How Messy are you?

Andrew*

It was listed on the AL (Astronomical League) website for the longest time, which is where I originally ripped it off borrowed it from. :lol:

In checking the AL's site, all they have now is a link which takes you to the RCA (Rose City Astronomers) site, who merely give a sample of the list but graciously include a link bouncing you back to the AL site where you can purchase the list in book form for $18. :rolleyes:

Luckily though, this kind Gent has been keeping a blog of his observations, and has the entire list on his site. :)

(Sorry for interrupting this "Messy" thread..

we now return you to your regularly scheduled program.)

:lol:

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Luckily though, this kind Gent has been keeping a blog of his observations, and has the entire list on his site. :rolleyes:

(Sorry for interrupting this "Messy" thread..

we now return you to your regularly scheduled program.)

:)

Now that's what I call a useful site. Wouldn't it be good if every club had a Jeff Burton?!

Respect, Dave

In danger of straying off-topic, but there's a "Herschel 615" that was actually proposed by James Mullaney before the 2x400 lists were compiled - it has the advantage of being Herschel's own listing of brightest objects. I'm working through it and will post the list elsewhere as a new thread.

Back to Messier, folks.

I wonder who's the most northerly observer who's seen them all? I had trouble with quite a few from northern England and viewed them with binos during holidays in more southerly climes. I expect to have similar problems with Herschel objects in Sagittarius/Scorpius - oops, straying again!

Andrew

what are the most sourthernly messiers?

M7 in Scorpius, if I remember rightly. There's one in Hydra that's very southerly too - I viewed both from Greece and have never tried them from UK.

M7-Spectacular!

M69-small, round glob.

M70-small, round glob.

M6-Butterfly cluster. Very nice!

M55-rather largeish, round glob. Not bad.

M54-larger than 69, 70, smaller than 55.

M62-One I should show more often. Appears to be being disrupted by last pass through gal. disk.

M83-Wonderful barred spiral galaxy!

M68-IIRC, this one looks like a loose open cluster, but it's a glob.

M4-Spectacular!

M19-Overlooked, wonderful glob

M28-Much smaller glob close to M22.

M7 should theoretically be visible from Newcastle (latitude 55N) but would rise less than a moon's diameter above the horizon. So it looks like there's no hope of a complete Messier marathon anywhere north of there.

Archived