Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

USB to RS232 connection problems

Does anyone out there use a Mac to control an EQ5 mount (Synscan controller)?

I bought a 'Plugable PL2303-db9 adapter' to control my scope.

I’ve downloaded the latest drivers but cannot connect via Stellarium or Skychart, CDC. I’ve been through all their help files but nothing appears to recognise the cable/scope when attached. The USB drivers show up in the devices list.

The various forums I've searched seem to require mindbogglingly complex (for me) use of Terminal and rewriting code by the looks of things. Surely this isn't right?! lol. 

I’m using:

Macbook pro (usb2)
OSX Yosemite
RS232 cable supplied with Synscan controller
EQ5 mount

The drivers seem to be installed ok:
In Stellarium, I've tried the settings in the attached pic.

Any thoughts? Many thanks!

post-39749-0-65176500-1414596165.jpg

Can't be much help with the Mac but I recently had problems with RS232 / USB adaptor that claimed to have a Prolific chipset and showed as working properly in device manager but which patently didn't work.

Purchased an FTDI one direct from FTDI and it works perfectly, cost three times as much but as they say you get what you pay for, the FTDI one also has RX / TX LEDS to show it's working which is handy.

Save

stellarium requires stellarium scope to be installed

you also have to configure the USB / serial connection Comm port so the software knows what "Port" to send data to

not sure how Mac's do this

Stellarium doesn't require Stellariumscope to drive a mount. Stellarium has it's own built in drivers to do this.

Might be a dumb question, but have you set the mounts hand controller to allow remote control from a PC ?

I spent a few days tearing my hair out with a similar problem, all looked ok but my software refused to admit there was a mount to control, until I put the hand controller into remote PC mode

Archived