NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

A few eyepiece and filter question

Hi!

I'm totally, 100% new to this. I just got my first scope, a 6" dob (the SkyQuest XT6 from Orion) and have been super excited about the general stargazing I've done so far. I'm wondering though about what kinds of eyepieces would be good to get as a beginning to enhance my experience My scope came with a 25mm.

I also was interested in some filters, mainly for planets and the moon. Any suggestions there?

And, as far as solar filters, what all do I need to ensure that I do ruin my scope or blind myself? Is it just one filter? Or do I need a few things...?

This is one set I was thinking about getting: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0069VXRLS/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=3HKMBRG9SH4C7&coliid=I3MIBIVGTPEW6S

Would that be a good start?

Any suggestions or advice is appreciated! Thanks!! :)

A 6" F/8 like you have is a perfect starter scope. It will give you many years of discoveries and observing pleasure.

I think you should put your money to one or two good eyepieces with an apparent view approaching 70°. Just for the sheer beauty of the views. And there's so much available second hand. 

Skip the starter box, unless you find the case itself is worth the money.

Ruud is quite right. Those ubiquitous  starter-kits with the filters are usually sold-off quite soon by new observers. And the filters seldom see "the light of day." A few, good eyepieces - preferably with a wide field-of-view (FOV) - will serve you better and for longer.

Enjoy your scope!

Clear Skies,

Dave

A 12mm, 20mm and 30mm type focal length eyepiece will see you through the first year. Once you've trained your eye to see...then you'll better appreciate any upgrade.

Get a sheet of Baader Solar film and make your own solar filter. It should cover the full aperture of the tube, fit securely. Don't forget the spare a small piece to make a solar cap for the finder.

Enjoy!

With an f/8(ish) scope you can use a reasonable plossl without too much trouble.

I am going to basically point you at Astro-Tech items for this as they are about the one brand I am half sure of in the US.

They do a line of Hi-grade plossls at $30 and $40 each from Astronomics.

They also do Value Line ones at $23 and $32 each.

Better yet from Astro-Tech are their Paradigm ED eyepieces. These are probably a better long term option as they will work well on the scope you have and on just about any scope you get. They are $60 each. If you went for these then consider the 8mm and 25mm and if you really want to spend money the 15mm to sit in the middle.

What many here do is get 2 or 3 initially then add one every couple of months and enhd up with the set of 6.

I see that AgenaAstro sell them under the Starguider name but theirs are $65 now..

There are others, Celestron do the X-Cel line that is good and it has a slightly better selection at the shorter focal lengths, which may not sound much but in this case it is useful.

For filters get a moon filter if you need one, and leave the remainder for some time until you have a better idea of what it is you want to view and so might need. It is too easy to buy, buy, buy then not use.

my advice would be buy no eyepieces for the time being

more eyepieces will show you nothing if you cannot find anything

I'd always recommend:

red dot finder (I use Telrads)

right angle correct image finder (I have a 6x30 and a 9x50 for different scopes)

good start map

dim red torch

stool or seat

before getting any eyepieces. once you have the above you can fine tune your observing preferences and buy to meet your needs rather than what you assume at the minute to be your needs

you'll save money in the long run adopting this approach

when ready if you want the ultimate in performance for a minimal price, buy used Televue plossls. there should always be a place for at least a couple in everyone's eyepiece box.

Archived