Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Am I unwittingly blinding myself?

I have been using a Thousand Oaks Glass +2 filter on my c90 for imaging and having a grand time of it. But I also have been just observing with that and a regular eyepiece. Everything I read and researched said, as long as the filter was in good shape, and I covered my finderscope, I was all clear.But I'm thinking of getting a Baader CAK filter for more imaging detail. On their product page, they stated the filter was ONLY for imaging, as excessive UV can cause serious eye damage over time. They also imply that it must be used with the regular solar film they supply. 

So, if Understand correctly, I could use my Thousand Oaks, and add the Baader CAK on the eyepiece, but if that's still dangerous, what have I been doing to my eyes with just the solar filter by itself? Is my solar filter equivalent to an ERF?

How  badly have I screwed up?

Unless you have the eyes of a ten year old, you won't see much with the CaK filter.

Aged eyes are less sensitive in the UV - this is basically an imaging filter only.

(BTW the bandwidth of the Baader Cak is not narrow enough to give those "Ohhhh Ahhhh" CaK images you see on the solar forums....sorry)

For an improvement in detail you would be better ditching the glass filter and switching to the Baader Solar film , no glass filter uses optical quality glass and the problem starts there .

The Baader Cak filter is too wide a bandpass to make its £250 justifiable in my view , the Continuum + UV/IR Block combination is a better bet.

I really appreciate the reassurance and equipment advice. I wanted to get sharp, exciting shots, but not spend a hobillion dollars. Your responses and further research have convined me saving up for an H-Alpha solution is a better bet.

But I will look into the continuum idea as well.

You can substitute the Continuum for an OIII or UHC to get an enhancement in contrast without splashing out if you already have one in your kit box.

Baader ND3.8 + OIII is the combination I employ for my DSLR full disc imaging ... works very well ...  :smiley:

Archived