NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Stephan's Quintet

DeepSkyBagger

As relief from the current relentless onslaught of cloudy nights, I've been looking back at my last observing session. On 20th September, I found myself under clear skies at a reasonably dark-sky site in the Lake District. There was a fairly heavy dew and no wind. I had a brief look up at the sky and the faintest star I could see was 63 Peg at mag 5.5. The Milky Way was clearly visible across the whole sky. There were plenty owls about, and from time to time I heard migrating geese passing overhead.

It turned out to be a good night, with observations being made of 27 deep-sky objects. This is one of my favourites from the night, as it was a first for me:

Stephan's Quintet is an interesting group of galaxies, both cosmologically and observationally. It was the first recognised compact galaxy group, and deep images show a wealth of interaction between the members of the group. My visual observations follow -

NGC 7317 - Small and round. Fairly bright. The middle is brighter and there may be a stellar nucleus.

NGC 7318A & 7318B - Not distinguishable from each other, these galaxies appear as a single object. Faint. Pretty large and elongated with a brighter central area. Visually very similar to its neighbour NGC 7320.

NGC 7319 - Very faint, pretty large and elongated. No sign of central brightening or any other structure.

NGC 7320 - not actually a member of the group, being a foreground object, it is faint, though pretty large and elongated with a brighter central area. Visually very similar to its neighbour NGC 7318.

NGC 7320C - Not seen (mag 16.1).

I have no idea whatever happened to NGC 7320B!

post-39585-0-25408500-1414349743_thumb.j

Archived