NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Mirror Cleaned

Not the learned way to clean, but it worked for me, and looks sparkly new! 

I chose  today to examine a Skyliner collimating screw 'O' ring, to see if I could fit a better quality one. On returning the single 'O' ring it dropped, so out comes the mirror cell, 'O' ring re-located, re-fitted.

Now while the cell is out, why not try a quick mirror clean? I  gently cleaned it first time with lens wipes, all sparkly clean, good to go, then for the fun of it and to experiment a little using a household cleaner ( Oh no you all scream !) the second wash, almost dissolved the paper centre spot, so going to need a new centre spot the next time round. The spot was over soaked and just the base layer is left,  should be etched!  Anyway, mirror cell replaced, collimation checked, job done.  Star test to follow,  if and when the weather clears.

Funny thing is the whole process took under 20 minutes, and a part dissolved paper centre spot to show for messing about and learning a little more about how it all works. Only time will tell if the Glass cleaner will rot through the mirrors protective surface, but the mirror is sparkly clean, not a visible mark at all from closer inspection,  and  cleaner than it was when it  first arrived.

The normal standard practice is to use distilled water for mirror rinsing following any washing procedures you  may already follow.

Hope you have not left micro scratches in the coating :shocked:

If you see a bit more light scatter around stars next time you view, then you know what the cause is. Of course I really hope thats not happened and the coating is unscathed.

I use distilled water and 100% cotton wool balls on mine with zero pressure. Not that I do it very often.

Hope you have not left micro scratches in the coating :shocked:

If you see a bit more light scatter around stars next time you view, then you know what the cause is. Of course I really hope thats not happened and the coating is unscathed.

I use distilled water and 100% cotton wool balls on mine with zero pressure. Not that I do it very often.

That is the only  recommended way it should be done, John.

I do like to experiment. I could have also replaced the spot as I have some sat here on the shelf, but another time.

I examined with a 10x Loupe, and it looks good to me. Maybe  I'm a little over confident with the telescope, but its all part of the fun. It may show that you don't have to have kid gloves on all the time, especially with just taking the thing apart.

Right or wrong, others can learn and avoid if necessary, especially if I  discover or get problems later on. I'm 99% certain it's going to be just fine.

I'm aware in advance the can 'o worms this may open, but I'm willing to  experiment for the benefit of others, but folk,  please just use the recommended options.

• 3 weeks later...

..............Pin sharp images from the Moon and  Stars during last session. Collimation appears perfect. I'll still need  to renew the centre spot at some stage? Its there, but I know the surface layer of the spot came away! I have  a pack of  hole reinforcement stickers for  the next time the mirror cell comes out?

I intend to carry out a proper  wash using prescribed methods the next time to ascertain drying times and quality of the finish. But everything looks good here.

Archived