Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Getting me a Canon DSLR

blinky

Hi Craig,

Congrats that you've got the DSLR imaging bug.

Bit of curve ball here..have you considered taking shots independent of any attachment between PC and camera? For it you'll need something like this: http://www.phottix.com/p3.jpg It's the Phottix Timer Remote Cord C1 - lets you take as many subs as you want, for as long as you want, also you can set the interval time between shots and the time delay to the start of the first shot.

They're availabe on e-bay from a Hong Kong supplier - I got mine for about £29 including shipping.

I've used one for about three months now - you can see some of my more recent results in the DS Imaging section.

Worth considering if you don't want the hasle of trailing wires - I usually prop mine up between the scope and dovetail bar press the start button and the rest is done automatically :wink:

RB

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes you select LPT1. The mirror lock up function I dont think is relevant to the Canon.

Regards

Kevin

with the DSLRshutter, mirror lock function is definitely worth using and will work with the canon .

So how is it used? If it uses the focus contact and shutter contact you will need to modify the circuit to have two indepenant switches.

Regards

Kevin

Yes you select LPT1. The mirror lock up function I dont think is relevant to the Canon.

Regards

Kevin

with the DSLRshutter, mirror lock function is definitely worth using and will work with the canon .

So how is it used? If it uses the focus contact and shutter contact you will need to modify the circuit to have two indepenant switches.

Regards

Kevin

Just read up on this myself Mirror Lock must be enabled in the Custom function menu then the DSLR software must have the function checked the software pulses the shutter switch to lock the mirror up and then closes the shutter switch after a short delay for as long as you have set the exposure time for.

Regards

Kevin

My current (broken) 300D doesn't have mirror lock as a custom function,but will respond to the dslrshutter command of "mirror lock". This eliminates wobbles caused by the action of the mirror as the camera takes a picture. The difference IS noticeable ! DSLR shutter is the freeware isn't it? I didn't think it had a focusing element to the s/w. DSLRfocus , on the other hand (cheap), does. It allows you to download images from the camera direct so you can check your focus and exposure settings-I'd certainly recommend it . It will then take all your pics for you and you can pop in for a cup of tea !

For the DSLRfocus I use a USB-SERIAL adapter-shutter remote cable( as per astronomiser) and the USB from the camera to the PC for the image downloads. Once your happy with the settings disconnect the usb used for the image downloads(providing you've checked the box for "captured images to be saved in the camera" .You could choose to "save to PC" but then of course you'll need to keep the USB connected.

Karlo

Just a note that if you dont like the idea of moving the primary mirror forward to acheive focus when using that 2" adaptor, there are low profile adaptors around to resolve the inward travel needed to achieve focus. Skywatcher's 1.25" eyepiece holder double's up as a 2" low profile DSLR camera adaptor.

Matt

Archived