Is my scope suitable?

scottphillips

Hey guys just ordered the Skywatcher 130m,

It's on an equitorial mount and has motor tracking so I was wondering if this is enough for me to take some videos with my webcam and then stack some still shots together to get decent images of DSO's such as nebulae and galaxies ???

Scott, you might find you get more response to this if you post it in the equipment section, but in my limited experience I have found most webcam struggle to capture very much other than the Moon or planets (but they can excel at those targets).

Hey guys just ordered the Skywatcher 130m,

It's on an equitorial mount and has motor tracking so I was wondering if this is enough for me to take some videos with my webcam and then stack some still shots together to get decent images of DSO's such as nebulae and galaxies ???

I am not sure if the 130m would come to focus with a DSLR for DSO imaging. The 130 PDS is the one designed for AP. The 130 should be fine witha webcam for the Moon and Jupiter.

A.G

For video-astrophotography, and other methods too, the mount is more important than the telescope on it. You have an equatorial-mount that tracks? You're fine for the short exposures required for getting decent imagery.  Take a look around this forum:

http://stargazerslounge.com/forum/123-video-astronomy/

The better you align your scope/mount, the clearer your results will be.

Clear Skies,

Dave

Archived