Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Newbie in need of some advice

Hi Daz - welcome to SGL :wink:

I use a Skyliner 200 and it's an excellent scope. You need to be aware that it's mount works by simple "nudging" and is not motorised but in terms of sheer value for money I think these scopes offer a fantastic deal.

They are a great introduction to visual astronomy and, for many, will be all the scope they will ever want. The only thing they are not really suitable for is astrophotography because the mount is not motorised.

Mine has shown lovely views of Saturn and a variety of deep sky objects over the past few nights.

John

does it matter that i dont have a motorised mount or is it easier with ?

many thanks

A motorised mount makes tracking objects at high power easier as the motor does that for you. The downside is that they take more time to set up and can be more awkward / confusing for the newcomer to the hobby to figure out in my opinion. They also cost more £'s of course :wink:

This scope (the Explorer 200) is similar to the Skyliner 200 but on a motorised mount:

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/proddetail.php?prod=200heq5

If you could run to one of these budget-wise and don't mind slightly more complexity they are great setups and very capable all round scopes. You might need to allow a futher £50 for a couple of additional eyepieces in due course to give you even more flexibility.

John

Motorised mounts can be handy. They can also be a pain to set up, especially if you are new to them.

I dont have a motorised mount. I can star-hop my way to targets which I think is great fun and is a great way to learn the sky. However if you suffer badly from light pollution this might not be easy.

I've only heard good things about the skyliner. You should be able to see a great deal with it.

stellarium.org

The above link is to a free easy to use virtual planetarium. Its very handy to have.

If you are just starting out then invest in warm clothing. Binoculars are great for helping you find your way around the skies and dont need to be expensive. 7 X 50 or 10 X 50 are ideal.

Dont be scared to ask for advice. These forums are filled with the friendliest, most helpful of people.

How do you find stars without a motorised telescope ?

Even with a motorised scope you still have to work out where to point the scope to start with. Some mounts however are also fitted with a system known as "GOTO" which, after you have aligned the scope and mount carefully, will find astro objects for you and then track them. More £'s again for this facility as you might guess :wink:

Personally I prefer to find objects myself using finder charts or software then get the scope pointing in the right direction using the finder scope (the small scope mounted on the main scope). Others really like GOTO because they can see more objects in a session.

John

Dazraz

If you have a limited budget the 8 inch Skyliner is a great scope and will give good views of planets like Saturn and deep sky objects. As you have not used a scope before consider getting a right angle erecting finder - the right way up image makes finding DSOs easier as the star patterns match printed sky maps and the right angle means you will not be breaking your neck searching for objects high overhead. If you buy it at the same time as the scope you can negotiate a reduced price from the supplier.

At a later date the tube could be "upgraded" by mounting on a s/h equatorial mount like an EQ5.

The skyliner eyepieces are about adequate, but no barlow is included consider getting one of those too.

Scotastro

Hi Dazraz

I'm guessing that you're fairly new to this great but confusing and expensive hobby. Before you commit to buying a telescope, it would help you enormously to go and look at, and ideally through, some first. Two options are available, the first is to find a local telescope shop and go and have a browse, play and chat with the telescopes on sale. The second option is even better, find your local astronomical society, join and turn up to one of their observing sessions. Then you can have a look through some scopes, get an idea of the physical size of them, and chat to their owners, who will put you right on the advantages, pitfalls of the various types.

I'm not trying to put you off asking questions here, it's just that you'd get so much more out of looking at and handling the various types of scope.

Hope that helps, Martin

Archived