Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Some Craters...

Tim

I post these to give an idea of the sort of results that can be had with the Celestron Neximage webcam.

I have to admit, I was pleasantly surprised by the detail that the little chip gets hold of.

This is from a run of 300 frames, 80% selected, processed in K3ccd.

TJ

moon14sml.jpg

Had a real DOH! moment tonight, finally realising that in K3ccd I have been processing ALL frames, in every case, including the Rubbish ones. Might have to re-do some Mars and Saturns now!!

Anyways, here's a few more moonies, Im having fun with these, all from 15 feb 2008

moon13_100frames.jpg

Would somebody show me how to do that little pic big pic thingy?

Cheers

VERY nice details! :thumbup:

You caught the end of the Hesiodus sunrise ray in the 1st image, too. :hello1:

Yeah that was totally deliberate.

But seriously, what does that mean? :wink:

Cheers

TJ

A sunrise ray happens when sunlight flows through a break in the wall of a crater and shines a beam of light onto the shadowed crater floor. It doesn't take long for the sunlight to slowly illuminate the crater floor, which is why you need pretty good timing to catch these things. Looks like you caught the tail end of it.

I've attached the lower left area of your image (sorry about the graffiti :wink:), along with one of my sketches from a few years ago. If you took any images of this area about 45 minutes before you took this one, I'm guessing you'd have captured the sunrise ray when it looked similar to my sketch.

In any case, nice catch! :notworthy:

Ah I see! Thanks for that, will look out for them in future, does it happen on any other craters usually?

There's so much to see and learn about the moon, I just wish I wasn't like an over excited puppy with the attention span of a turnip, so that I could properly get to know things like this, before I skip off to the next thing..........oh well.

Thanks again. I have a gazillion moon pics, i'll try and post some more soon, your expert eye is appreciated :wink:

Cheers

TJ

Actually, there's a list of sunrise and sunset crater rays over at the RLO site but it's a bit extensive and probably more than you'd care to get involved with.. heck, it's more than I care to get involved with. :?

Basically, if you make visual observations alongside taking images, just scan the terminator every 1/2 hour or so and you'll be able to see the more outstanding sunrise rays as they're developing.

The thing is, I'm not at all familiar with the equipment used in imaging and don't know how easy it would be to keep removing it and putting it back on the scope (I use a dinky little Nikon Coolpix 4300 and take single shots, for heaven's sake. :wink:)

But just keep the images coming in and I'll have fun inspecting them.

(Yeah, I'm a pathetic MoonGeek. :))

(Yeah, I'm a pathetic MoonGeek. :))

Weeeeell, I sort of noticed that, but the cheeky smile makes up for it. :wink:

I hate to admit it, but the thing I REALLY wanna image next on the moon, is that smiley face that showed up in that big pic that was posted. Now that's pathetic huh? The thing is, the kids will love to see a REAL man in the moon!!

I find with layers PSP is easier to work with than PS, and I have an earthshien shot I want to combine with a shot of the 3 day crescent, I think it will make a really nice pic, although I go for the artistic appeal as much as anything, and tend to be drawn towards the graphically dramatic pics, with high contrast and sharp details. I'll post a few.

Knee high snow? Really? That would bring this country to a standstill. There'd be anarchy.

Cheers

TJ

Archived