Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Out with the eye-lashes

alan potts

Laservet,

Trimming or cutting is out of the question, when I was at school the girls used to love my long eyelashes and always wanted to put that black stuff on them which I can't spell. Now I am 58 but I live in hope.

I am beginning to think that a good Barlow is the way to go for shorter than 5mm as I believe this increases the ER a little. I have the 9mm BGO which will give 4.5mm, which is really enough for me. I have the 4mm Radian which may not be as good but you wouldn't throw one away either.

Alan.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Laservet,

Trimming or cutting is out of the question, when I was at school the girls used to love my long eyelashes and always wanted to put that black stuff on them which I can't spell. Now I am 58 but I live in hope.

I am beginning to think that a good Barlow is the way to go for shorter than 5mm as I believe this increases the ER a little. I have the 9mm BGO which will give 4.5mm, which is really enough for me. I have the 4mm Radian which may not be as good but you wouldn't throw one away either.

Alan.

When I cut my eyelashes several people noticed something was different, but nobody actually figured out what it was. I was asked several times if I had my hair cut differently.

I find the Radians to be very fine planetary eyepieces. Tom Back felt the same:

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/sci.astro.amateur/9cBDx92mipU

Paul,

Interesting story about the lashes. I find Radians easy on the eye and have a few at the short end 5mm downwards, it is a shame they don't still make all of them as there is no Delos replacement for the 5mm,4mm, and 3mm, I always wished for more at that end of the range, I would have bought them. The ortho with me are a bit like another Moderator on site I have to be in the mood for using them, also I find them very taget specific, mainly planets.

Alan.

Hi,

I've been looking at the site robotics.nl recently and was surprised to see Radians listed as available in 3, 4, 12, 14 and 18mm. The only other sites I've seen them are Telescope House (3mm) and the Widescreen Centre (3 and 4mm) - bit out of my price bracket new, but used maybe. I'm tempted by the long f/l ortho and good barlow combo too for planetary - might be an interesting contrast with my ES eyepieces. Just thinking about cutting my eyelashes or washing them with soap is making my eyes water! :smiley:

Graham.

Gbarnett,

I noticed that myself but feel this is just a site that has not been up-dated. The 3mm is still available from many outlets but the others were stopped about 2 years back, maybe more. I would be shocked if they still had any other than the 3mm.

I bought my 4mm about 3 years back from Telescope Services and that was the last one by all accounts, they are showing only the 3mm now and they are a fairly large dealer.

Nice eyepieces though I have had a few of them and have kept the shorter ones.

Alan

• 4 weeks later...

I am really thinking about the last 2.5mm XO at TS as these just don't come up S/H I am even thinking of looking at the States sites to see if I can get one and that is something I said I would not do again.

Anyway for what it is worth I had a good 30 minutes with the Hutech 5mm on Mars which is far from well placed but better from here than from England. Whilst Mars was a bit jumpy and there was plenty to see even though at X200 in the M/N 190mm was far from optimum. I could even see a bit of detail on the tiny disc when things settled though I have no idea what I was looking at. Considering the elevation of the planet it was sharp from time to time and viewable, I rather enjoyed it but no test of an eyepiece like this, must wait for Jupiter.

Oh John, set of ZO ll when you do not see a price advertised that to me means it is too expensive, I could well imagine 2,000 pounds was being asked and with the Sumerian to pay for next week I will pass on that one, but who knows, one day.

I don't think I will need the lash extractors after all.

Alan

The Pentax xo-5 is still available to buy new , I placed my order for one yesterday.

The Pentax XO 5mm has not been available for a long time now, be very careful. The last I heard of the Pentax being available was in Japan, that stock was a spent force at least 18months to 2 years ago. I know of one place that still has the 2.5mm XO and that is not often wanted by most. If japan has none then rest assumed nowhere else has, this is most likely a scam.

Alan

Archived