Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Lights out ( A ray of hope or shadow of light )

Mukv

Greetings

I thought I would share a little ray of light or shadow of light !
I have been struggling with a light post on bancroft lane iluminating the inside of my telescope tube when pointing in a southerly direction, I sent a polite email to nottingham council in charge of street lighting explaining my situation regarding astronomy and this one particular light, today I recived a letter declaring the problem resolved and the case is now closed!! I was furious because no body contacted me and no information of any course of action taken ! IA few mins ago I started a reply with a stronger tone restating my issues and decided that a picture would say everything that needs to be said and reinforce my case for some kind of action, on stepping outside camera in hand intending to take a picture to show that damnd light found that action had been taken, THEY SWITCHED IT OFF !
I'm a happy camper who nearly let loose with a broadside of emails to the council PHEW!
Just to prove that somthing good happened we have cloud cover for the next two weeks.

Andy

The trouble I have found with streetlights going off here is that all kinds of houses you didn't know existed suddenly light up at night with security lights. It is ridiculous. The houses behind me pretty much light up the western sky as they have several security lights, high powered. I'm just glad some trees shade my garden from them, but they are annoying. It is amazing but I could used to see stars low down in the east and south, now all I get at night is a kind of milky white glow of security lights.

Congratulations that you got a streetlight turned off. Now how long until someone complains and gets it turned back on?

Beasts putting shield on it. :grin: :grin:

I don't suppose you know when they switched it off? :confused: :confused:

Just wondering if it was switched off a few days back and you didn't notice. :eek: :eek:

However I would not be surprised if when the clocks go back it gets put on again. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Greetings

I have a house 3 doors down with the same security light that love the local cats and it's on and off all night!

My streetlight issue was a surprise because I drove past it twice tonight and never noticed it being off!

just shows how much artificial light is flooding our streets.

Andy

The problem with these are a lot of people seem unable to realise (as their lamps are pointing away from them) just how bright they are when poorly set. It seems these things inevitably are set to throw a horizontal beam across anything within about 500 yards. A couple of pounds spent on a baffle to cut off the light at their boundary and pointing them down a bit would go a long way towards solving the problem. I think if I had that problem a nice adjustable mirror to reflect the beam back into their kitchen window would be very satisfying.

Archived