Skywatcher Explorer 150P EQ3-2

Ok so I have a budget of £300 and want a telescope that will allow me good views of planets, nebula and galaxies, with the option of taking images

I have been told to stay away from the GoTo scopes and choose a dobsonian on an eq mount !

So this explorer 150p is the cheapest I could find but hasn't got a tracking motor I don't think and the scope has to be collomated which seems a draining task which I don't think I'm up to

Could someone advise me on what to do please ?

First it is a newtonian on an EQ mount, I think it is an f/5 scope so not bad for any imaging.

You will have to check and set the collimation, that comes with having a newtonian.

The scope will be on the big and heavy side for imaging on an EQ3-2. The mount is not known for being solid and stable.

I assume that you are thinking of attaching a DSLR which could be a problem:- more weight and the focuser may not allow the camera to reach the prime focus. You may well need to move the main mirror up the tube - then recollimate everything.

Without a set of motors to enable the mount to track you will not be doing any imaging.

As best I can see no-one offers the 150P on an EQ5.

strong suggestion,for £300 budget,stick to visual only for time being until you can afford the photography side.Stars or planets and DSo`s will not go anywhere for another million or millions of years ;)

Visual observation can be done cheap and with cutting corners where AP i dont think so, as you will want quality pictures and thats the whole when you get in is hard to get out.As ronin mentioned,for AP its the mount what is important and then the scope and good mount will set you back as minimum as 500quid.(HEQ 5)

The 150P Newtonian will reach focus with a DSLR. The very old blue ones with 1.25" rack and pinion focusers were a problem but they were update to 1.25"/2" Crayfords long ago.

This set up is a good way to get started on a tight budget if you want to try a bit of everything but you will need to add motors, or at least an RA motor, if you want to try imaging. That is exactly the kit I started out with. Collimation is not really an issue with the 150P. The small mirror size and f/5 means it is quite stable and well within the mechanical limits of the scope. If you click on the link to deep sky images in my sig, almost all of those were taken with a 150P, some on an EQ3-2. The full kit used should be listed with the images.

On a £300 budget for visual astronomy the most often made suggestion would be an 8" F/6 dobsonian. I can't think of anything that would give better views than that scope for £300 so I'll stick with it.

I have the 150p on eq3-2 although now I have it on heq5 legs, before that I just filled the legs with play sand and put a weight on the eyepiece tray was steady like that as you have been told a camera will reach focus and a few people on here have had some good pictures with that setup.

Scott can you get to a astro shop or an astro club meet so you can see different telescopes for real?

Then you may have an idea of what is portable for using at your dark site.

If you are using a webcam for imaging planets and the moon the tripod can be static.

Ok so I have a budget of £300 and want a telescope that will allow me good views of planets, nebula and galaxies, with the option of taking images

I have been told to stay away from the GoTo scopes and choose a dobsonian on an eq mount !

So this explorer 150p is the cheapest I could find but hasn't got a tracking motor I don't think and the scope has to be collomated which seems a draining task which I don't think I'm up to

Could someone advise me on what to do please ?

Hi dont let collimation put you off, get to a local meeting ask for someone to show you how it is done have a go yourself its like riding a bike once you have done it you will never forget, there are some excellent articles on collimation on this forum. the tube from a 200 dobson will go on a heq5 mount later if you wanted to upgrade the mount later.

Archived