Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Just ordered my first telescope

Hello community. I've just ordered my first telescope. The Orion Starblast 4.5 EQ. I amreally looking forward to getting it in the mail :). I have some questions and would really like any advice/suggestions any one can offer. I saw a video with this telescope looking at Saturn @150x. I think that's 150 magnification so how do I get that? What are the technical terms for what I need to order for magnification, filtering, etc...

My most important question, does anyone have any experience with this telescope? If so, can you please describe and possibly PM some pics from it?

I've had a quick look at the Orion website and the telescope should come with a 15mm and a 6mm eyepieces.

The focal length being 450mm, this should give you a magnification of x30 (15mm) and x75mm (6mm).

In order to get a x150 magnification, you should use either a 3mm eyepiece, or use the 6mm eyepiece with a x2 barlow.

You should only be able to find out if it needs collimation when it arrives. It depends on the transport (my Skywatcher 200p didn't).

There are many guides available online. It's not as scary as it sounds, and you should only need a small screwdriver. A cheshire collimation tool also helps, but is not vital.

People usually recommend using Astro-Babys guide : http://www.astro-baby.com/collimation/astro%20babys%20collimation%20guide.htm

However the site seems to be down at the moment.

This one's not bad either, and is live : http://www.garyseronik.com/?q=node/169

Thanks Captain Harlock. That guide makes it look too easy! happy-kat, I don't think it comes with a cap. Not from anything I can find in my order anyway. I read somewhere to stay away from Barlow's. Is this good advice? Should I order a 3mm eyepiece or can I rely on a 2x barlow? Also, is it a standard measurement of 1.25" eyepice or is this specific to each telescope model?

Be careful if considering 3mm eyepieces, IMO if you chose a 3mm Plossl eyepiece the eye relief will be nearly non-existent. Just to amplify Plossl is a simple design of eyepiece whose eye-relief is approx. 75% of the focal length, eye-relief is the distance from the eyepiece to the image plane which is where you need to put your eye. BTW I am not saying that these eyepieces are not any good just because they are a simple design, just that the short focal length ones need careful thought.

I mention this as Plossls are one of the more reasonable priced eyepiece designs and as a beginner you may be tempted.

Using a Barlow is a well accepted way of doubling your eyepiece range, at not much cost.

The 1.25" eyepiece is one of the standard sizes, eyepieces are not specific to the telescope.

A very good guide to eyepieces can be found here:- http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/43171-eyepieces-the-very-least-you-need/

HTH and good luck with your new scope.

One more question. I'll be receiving my telescope on the first day of the new moon :(. Any recomendations on what to check out since I can't look at the moon :)

Don't worry about not seeing the moon we either love it or hate it :rolleyes:  If you love it then wait a few days and you will have great views with plenty of deep shadows along the limb. But while the moon is out of the way take full advantage and get hunting some DSOs(deep sky objects).

Try for starters M31

M57

M15

The double star Albireo

The double cluster in Perseus

M34

The are loads more to hunt down

Don't know how to find them? Download Stellarium:- http://www.stellarium.org/ This is a great free planetarium program.

Good luck and the most important thing, have fun.

Ditto 'have fun'.

If you're not having fun stop doing it.

But you will have fun, moon or no moon. The sky will be enough and even if it's cloudy for a bit you can have fun messing about with your new scope. Joy.

Sorry for late replies!! Downloading Stellarium now :). All I can think about is the rings of Saturn but really am looking forward to hopefully seeing lots of star clusters and things like that. I think I'm more excited than my 10 yr old. That is until he sees space in real life for the first time. Here's hoping I'll be raising a future astronaut :).

Archived