Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

About to purchase HEQ5 SynTrek mount - advice please

davidp

Guys,

I've been using my Skywatcher skymax 127 synScan AZ goto for almost 2 years and it has been brilliant.  Unfortunately I seem to have got hooked on imaging (mostly planetary for the moment, but I'm seeking to expand this) and so I'm now in the market for a better mount.

After quite a bit of research I'm planning to purchases the HEQ5 SynTrek mount. ( http://www.rothervalleyoptics.co.uk/skywatcher-heq5-syntrek-motorized-mount-tripod.html )

My understanding is that this is basically the same as the HEQ5 PRO SynScan except without the goto SynScan handset.  However, I think I already have this handset from my existing 127 SynScan setup, so all that's required is to reflash the firmware in this.

Have I got this right or am I about to make a very expensive mistake?!

Also, are there any other options I should consider?  The £630 this will cost me is right at the top end of my budget so any other options would need to be a similar price.  That said, if this setup isn't really suitable for DSO imaging then I'd rather wait another year or so to save up a bit more money and make the right purchase then.

Any advice gratefully received.

Thanks for your help

David

I would tend to get the Pro goto at the extra £130 as then you have 2 goto's and may decide to sell the Alz/Az.

If you are imaging then you could use the Alt/Az to pass the time.

Also if the handset fails (not exactly unheard of) then you have a spare - I have 3 goto's and 5 handsets.

My understanding is that this is basically the same as the HEQ5 PRO SynScan except without the goto SynScan handset.  However, I think I already have this handset from my existing 127 SynScan setup, so all that's required is to reflash the firmware in this.

Also, are there any other options I should consider?

I can't talk about the usefulness of your existing handset. However even if it's not compatible you can use your new HEQ5 Syntrek with a £30 EQMOD adapter. Essentially, this plugs in to the handset port on your mount (be sure to choose the right one: the handset port is different between the HEQ5 and the EQ6 - you need the one with the "telephone" like connector, not the RS-232 connector) and then into your computer and handles all the GOTO stuff.

The only drawback is that you can't "dial in" targets directly as you can with the handset - it all has to come from the computer.

I'd check out the handset with one of the Astro retailers to see whether the handset is compatible. No point in spending unecessary money.

I did the same when I bought an HEQ5 syntrek and asked my retailer if I could use the Synscan pro handset from my NEQ6 (The NEQ6 is permanently in the observatory and the HEQ5 is for taking to Astro camps).  I was told that it would work but I just needed a different cable.

It did indeed work and I didn't have to reflash or anything, but then I was downgrading to a smaller mount.  

However since you're upgrading I'd just double check it will work.

Carike 

Archived