iPhone and the Ethos...

Hi. I'm a new member and stoked to be here. I have a few Ethos lenses and I've been wondering if it's possible to use an iPhone to take some pics. My concern is the wide field of view and the challenge of getting the lens in the right spot. Has anyone had success using an iPhone with the 8mm or 13mm Ethos? I managed one wonky pic (attached). I haven't had any luck finding mounts online so I figured that this might be a good spot. Thanks for the help.

post-39385-0-40041600-1412818480_thumb.j

I'm not sure Ethos' are the best to try for taking iPhone images. They are lovely eyepieces, but big and have profiled sides.

I have had most luck with flat sided orthoscopics such as the BGO or Hutech.

I use an Orion Steadypix universal mount and it works very well. Looks like this

f70553a132f92e777723e68c672ca77a.jpg

I have got some reasonable results with it

798d6e5f09173af1c05527871fc7486f.jpg

Stu

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I haven't got an Ethos EP and take a few shots with my iPhone just hand held.

Just a couple of tips. Try to set the mount so the moon is moving into your field of view, this will give you time to position the phone and move it about before the object gets centred. Once it is centred it will be reflecting a great deal of light into the camera so give it a second or two for the focus and exposure to adjust before taking your pic.

• 1 month later...

I took the attached last night by placing an iPhone against a 26mm plossl in an etx125.

It's a pain trying to line it up, so I wonder how these work: http://arcturuslabs.com

It seems to me that the reasonable sensitivity of an iPhone CCD is ideally suited to some astro uses. If anyone has any further experience, including stacking, I'd be interested to hear!

post-40258-0-75932700-1417373500_thumb.j

Thought I'd chuck an image in from this evening from here, the high cloud's drifted in here now.

Again, etx125 afocal iphone5 on 26mm Meade plossl (all of which, I realise in this bright light, needs a clean!)

Wishing you all clear skies and total lack of neck ache!

post-40258-0-89490400-1417385560_thumb.j

Excellent :-). I'm assuming this is a product from quaoar ltd? Perhaps a one off prototype? ;-)

Lovely image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quaoar Pty Ltd has these on special right now for only GBP 99.95 plus VAT plus shipping and handling ( from Australia ). Free set of steak knives with every order of 10 or more.

Our range also now includes the "Thinga ma jig" for big Dob owners to eliminate the ladder when setting up. POA

post-18787-0-55779100-1417427755_thumb.j

Archived