NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Just for fun

martin_h

Having no target in mind last night I decided to put Sara's (swag72)  brilliant IC5068 into context and having shot the Pelican and North American a while ago I added a few hours worth to a couple of new panels just for fun.

web-16.png

Thanks, I've been wondering exactly that and tried to match it up on Wikisky without success. I'm still struggling to see it though. Is Sara's image in a different orientation to yours?

It is at the bottom right hand side just under the pelican.

A.G

Excellent. That's a fascinating widefield view of such a great area of the sky.

Just for a bit more fun, a few questions:

What makes all these lines, shapes and shades?

And if the universe is expanding and everything in it is moving, why do these shapes persist?

Or perhaps more to the point, how long would it take for the shapes to become significantly different?

I don't think that "clouds" of Gas would be affected by the expanding universe, we can only see them because they are dense and clumping under their own gravity(star forming).

Their shape will alter over time as they get denser/compacted, or pushed apart by the solar wind of the forming stars.......think of the Rosette nebula with the middle being blown out by the new stars

I don't think that "clouds" of Gas would be affected by the expanding universe, we can only see them because they are dense and clumping under their own gravity(star forming).

Their shape will alter over time as they get denser/compacted, or pushed apart by the solar wind of the forming stars.......think of the Rosette nebula with the middle being blown out by the new stars

Perhaps  :grin:

Archived