Next scope, 8" Dob to ....?

Hi guys,

I've got an 8" flextube don with go-to. Thinking about selling it so i can get something on a decent eq mount .

The idea is that I get a good mount with a basic scope, then upgrade the scope later, then get a dslr, then start looking into imaging.

This is all just an idea at the moment, but I'm looking for suggestions at the moment.

I've seen a few good reviews for the celeston AVX mount, so would be interested in anyone's experience on the pros and cons of this over a skywatcher heq5.

Advantages are that it has a fancy polar align system which means you don't need to see Polaris. It is a great looking mount and works a treat. The HEQ5 is a proven performer and has a lot of support in terms of open source software that the AVX does not yet have. I ummed and ahhed over this exact choice for months and went for an HEQ5. There was very little in it and I have subsequently seen and used AVXs and they are great.

With the AVX you can get a newtonian as part of a package, making it cheaper overall, but for getting into astrophotography, you want to make it as easy as possible for yourself, so keep the size of the telescope small, so go for a 6'' newt max or go for a decent ED refractor. I went for a Skywatcher love-in and bought the ED80 to go with my mount. I have no complaints at all.

I wouldn't bother with the basic scope then upgrade the scope step. Get a decent scope straight away and get a DSLR as soon as you can and get snapping.

Think I'm getting frac fever. Just don't want to loose the light grab from my 8" dob. Might have to think about the hew5, plus larger newt first, then get an ed frac. Any reason why I wouldn't't get the SW 100ed?

You could keep the 200P aperture by getting yourself a 200PDS and mount it on an EQ mount, though I think the NEQ6 would be better for this scope.

Otherwise what Matt suggested above will be good, HEQ5 and ED80.

Carole 

I'd keep the Dob and build an imaging rig around small aperture. Given the cost of even a modest AP rig the sale of the 8 inch Dob won't make a huge financial contribution. 

Olly

And you'll want something to look through whilst the imaging rig is doing its thing. Computer screens can be boring things :D

Archived