Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Recommend me a book

Unicronicus

I currently have Turn Left at Orion (for home telescopes) and it is one of the best purchases I have made in terms of an astronomy tool, but I can't help think that once we get the bigger 12" scope the book will have reached its limit of giving us faint DSO's to observe. What other books can I buy that are written mainly for the viewing of objects through larger scopes? Stellarium is obviously a useful tool but a) not all objects have an image to check against what you are trying to observe, and B) it lies with apparent magnitude of certain objects I find so you might skip over some because of it.

Illustrated Guide to Astronomical Wonders has been a great book for me and still is.

http://www.cloudynights.com/page/articles/cat/user-reviews/books-software/observing-books/illustrated-guide-to-astronomical-wonders-r1795

Above is a link to a review done on Cloudy Nights website.

One of our club members showed me his copy and I went and bought my own the next day. Avery useful book with a lot of info, plus good explanations and images of what objects look like through different sized scopes.

I find that The Monthly Sky Guide by Ridpath and Tirion gives me more objects to pick out.

TLAO sort of limited itself by saying 100 objects, which as there are 110 Messiers means they limit even these.

The planetarium software I find is useful for ideas but get lost in the amount of stuff that appears on the screen, so I never consider them.

The Monthly Sly Guide will give a prominent monthly constellation (occasionally 2) and the star chart for that includes Messiers, some NGC and a few others that I have no idea what they are. Some are designated like I283, suppose I should go point a scope at one of them one day and take a peek.

It is not a huge increase over TLAO however is I suspect reasonable, but for significantly more you are likely looking at something like one of the Cambridge deep sky atlases, or similar.

Thanks for all the input, that website looks particularly interesting, in fact I may have come across it before but totally forgot about it... That's what I like about astronomical sketches, they capture exactly what you should be expected to see through a scope's eyepiece, as opposed to a photo (or series of photos stacked) that gives you an image that your eye cannot see.

Hi,

If you still don't have a copy of the Illustrated Guide PM me a contact address or E-Mail and I will send you my copy.  I have it filed next to

Doric Scottish grammar for some reason.                                                                                                                                                         

Mijijim.

Images can often be found with a few keystroke into Google, or your favorite search-engine. Then these can be downloaded to a file/location of your choice.

I have excellent software that shows me most DSO's, but Google has proven it's worth for many others.

Clear & Dark Skies,

Dave

Archived