Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

RGB Filters for Atik 314L+Mono?

Astrosurf

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Buy it. Howzat?

Olly

Well, I don't know though. You might get one third hand from the Bishop of Scunthorpe's daughter in law who thought she'd try AP but found she preferred ironing her father in law's shoes...

Bought!

Hi A.G,

Don't get me wrong, I didn't think you had any axe to grind, just curious to your thinking. I agree that a darksite / sky is generally the biggest improvemt that can be made to any visual or imaging astronomy. That said, sometimes you just have to do the best with the cards you are dealt.

Ian

Hi Ian,

I may have stated my case a little too strogly but I could only comment from my experience. I am sure that others have better luck with LRGB imaging than what I have had. Like everything else in AP some of the stuff works for some not for others.

Regards,

A.G

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Alex :)

You might be wondering why getting an Ha filter has been suggested.  Adding Ha to the LRGB for galaxies brings out the star forming areas and adds a certain glitter to your galaxies.  You will also be able to get decent monochrome images of dimmer DSOs in a light polluted area.  You will need longer exposures but OTOH you will be able to take longer exposures as you will only be collecting light in a narrow band in the red end of the spectrum.  Hydrogen gas clouds make up most of the visible light coming from the fainter DSOs.  But I guess this is for later.  There are plenty of great objects out there that you will be able to capture :)  Don't be put off by anyone who says "you can't do that" or "that's a waste of time trying" etc. Just try things for yourself and enjoy it.

I don't see how it can make the slightest difference if you have big colour filters in front of the chip or little ones in front of each pixel. I use LRGB filters from a moderately light polluted site and yes it is far away from the results possible from a dark site, but still miles better than I could achieve in the past with a DSLR. I don't see how a OSC CCD will be any different compared to mono + LRGB other than the OSC will be slower and the processing will be harder. Going for a mono camera also gives you the flexibility to get the best out of narrowband filters as an alternative.

I don't make the claim that LRGB beats OSC in LP because I've no experience of LP to speak of. However, I have heard this suggested, which proves nothing. One possible source of difference, though, might lie in the fact that the Bayer Matrix has one R, one B and two G filters, which is not how it goes in RGB. Thread creep, sorry Alex.

I like the Baader LRGB set. Not the cheap absorption ones though.

Ha is so useful on emission nebulae because it finds more structure, more contrast, more detail. It saves time and can be used in moonlight.

Olly

Archived