NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Double cluster

Ally8446

Well well well, last Friday night the conditions at my dark site were rather good. So much so that I could see the double cluster in Perseus with the naked eye. Now that actually took me by surprise because I didn't think one could see it without using a telescope/binoculars. Does this mean that the conditions were really good or is the double cluster always visible by eye on a clear moonless night ?

Also just wanted to share my ongoing enthusiasm for this amazing hobby. I also managed to 'bag' the dumbbell, which was considerably larger than I expected. M51 was barely discernable BUT I could still see it with averted vision. I struggled for a little while to find M33 (haven't quite grasped the star hopping art as yet) but found it in the end. Also had a good look at M57 but was totally blown away by The Veil nebula. It's huge. Finished my session on M31 which never fails to make me think 'WOW'

Clear skies one and all

Ally

From my garden, the DC is rarely naked eye, similar to M31 so it really does depend upon your skies. I think if you can get the Veil and M33 your skies must be pretty good

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In this part of rural Berks/Oxon, the DC is easily visible with the naked eye and M31 some occasional nights but not all. M33 is often an easy binocular object, but not visible with the naked eye.

At a dark site I go to most years in France (I was there last week), I think I've seen M33 without optical aid, but it is marginal and it may be the glow from foreground stars.

Chris

There are a handful of DSOs that are visible to the naked eye from a dark site. In Spain I could easily see M31 and the Double Cluster naked eye, and last year in Pembrokeshire I could even make out M13 with the naked eye. Other objects that can be seen without optical aid include M42 (Orion Nebula) and M44 (Praesepe) - both of these are even visible under my terrible skies... If you're much further south then M7 is naked visible, as is M8 (Apparently), and of course wonders like Omega Centauri, 47 Tucani, the Jewel Box etc. I've read reports when researching objects that the North America Nebula, M33 and the Helix Nebula are all naked eye from extremely dark areas, though I don't give credence to that last one. I also have dim recollections of seeing a few open clusters in Gemini and Auriga without the scope from Pembrokeshire but my memory may be failing me - time to go back to check I reckon!

DD

Archived