Dual Axis Motors

As far as I'm aware the motor units are the same but the handsets are different.  In fact, I think it's actually just the programming of the microcontroller in the handset that may be different, to account for the different number of teeth on the RA worm gear.

James

Indeed.  I should have been more clear.  It's the motor units themselves that I believe to be the same.  I couldn't see any obvious differences in the motors or gearboxes (though unlike my EQ3-2, I didn't take the EQ5 gearbox apart to count the teeth on the individual wheels -- I just decided that they looked sufficiently similar).

I compared a couple of opened-up handsets and couldn't see any differences between them other than the paper label on the back stating whether it was for an EQ3-2 or EQ5 which is what led me to believe that the microcontrollers are programmed differently.  It's entirely possible that I missed some other difference that accounts for the different gear ratios required though.  Either way the handset from one is never going to work with the other.

James

Cheers guys. Whilst we're on the subject of what will work with what, do you also know if an EQ5 polar scope will work in an EQ3-2?

I've never tried, but I'm pretty sure it won't.  I believe the barrel on the EQ5 model is too wide to fit in the EQ3-2.

James

Strange, because I have both mounts see sig', and the motors are identical and can be swapped about, but the mounting plates need to be swapped for the specific mount, and also the coupler for the RA needs to be swapped.

Spare mechanical clutch gear couplers were certainly available from TS under the Vixen brand (I bought 2).

post-34135-0-42271700-1411988538.jpg

The simple hand set also works, because of the 1:1 drive out of the motor+ gear wheel (not to be confused with the worm ratios when using EQMOD/Ascom).

I find it handy, in that if I can't be bothered to do a full set up, with laptop etc, then I can simply plug in the simple hand set and have powered slews plus tracking.

I now have no idea, which motors really belong to which mount, most likely one of each on both.

If you were thinking of doing a belt mod on the EQ5, then using standard belt/pulley sizes (costs less) then the EQ5 motors need to be spaced slightly further out from the mount in order to obtain 34.5mm centers IIRC.

hth

Archived