Sigh - In a dilema

Hi guy's the other night I was out at the backyard with enthusiasm hoping to get my first picture unfortunately things didn't go as well as I'd hope this always seem to be the case. I was out about nine o'clock set up my tripod levelled it off then assembled the mount and polar aligned that all went smoothly. Happy as Larry so far. Then I went to get my telescope which is originally from a dobsonian base. The skywatcher 200P (1200/200mm) So its a large scope as some of you know which has made it a challenge to set up. When I tried to attach the scope to the mount there was this awkwardness just due to the size and wight of the scope and the angle of the scope 55 degrees trying to get it to clip in and lock was a nightmare so during this struggle the mount moved several because the back end of the scope is very heavy to the front of the mount moved up.. ruining my polar alignment. I wanted to take a picture before purchasing a new scope I'm so far going for the 130P-DS is fairly cheap and I have seen some outstanding results from it.

Now am I being unrealistic? Should I first get use to my arranged set up before purchasing a new scope or will this smaller scope make my life easier? 

Is this typical for a beginner? 

I personally think, if you can't setup the telescope with ease as you need it to do then yes down size, usually if you have a OTA that big from a dobsonian and decide to put it on an equatorial mount you leave it setup and put it away setup, but obviously you can't do that so for me I would down size

Apologies if you tried this. 

But what I find much easier (surprised if others dont do this as well).... Is attach JUST the dovetail and tube rings to the mount. Open up the tube rings. Pop inside, pick up your OTA and pop it into the open tube rings. Close tube rings. 

I leave my dovetail and tube rings permanently attached to the mount. Just remove the OTA. Small mark on the OTA so I roughly know where to place it for balance but you need to adjust that regardless.

Just my 2 cents. 

Dan

Apologies if you tried this. 

But what I find much easier (surprised if others dont do this as well).... Is attach JUST the dovetail and tube rings to the mount. Open up the tube rings. Pop inside, pick up your OTA and pop it into the open tube rings. Close tube rings. 

I leave my dovetail and tube rings permanently attached to the mount. Just remove the OTA. Small mark on the OTA so I roughly know where to place it for balance but you need to adjust that regardless.

Just my 2 cents. 

Dan

Exactly what I do.

BTW When attaching the dovetail and tube rings I swing the dovetail around so that when the scope is offered up to the rings it is horizontal.

Exactly what I do.

BTW When attaching the dovetail and tube rings I swing the dovetail around so that when the scope is offered up to the rings it is horizontal.

Yep, you know it! Its a million times easier. Tube rings have hinges for this reason surely. 

I cant imagine attempting to attach it all to the saddle on your own, accident waiting to happen imo. 

Dan

Yeah I plan on getting 130P-DS as soon as I get my first photo with the 200P the other night just became so frustrating trying to get the scope on the mount like some of you are saying its an accident waiting to happen. I'l give it one more chance taking on the advice and hopefully by end of the night I'l have a photograph to share and then I can make my new purchase. 

Archived