NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

DSLR and filters wheel ?

Vox45

Hi all

I own a Canon 1000D and I plan to buy filters (OIII, Ha, SII) in the short term.

In order to future proof my setup I thought that I should buy my filters in a format that would fit a (future) filter wheel so when I move to a CCD camera I already have the filters part taken care of.

Naturally this brought up a question: I've never seen a setup DSLR+Filter Wheel combo. Now, this may be because I am new to this and it is in fact a common setup, I have just never seen it.

Can anyone clarify this for me, is this a good idea ? overkill ? I would hate buying the wrong filters and then have to change them in a couple of years.. and I assume that a filter wheel would be convenient for a DSLR ;)

Please let me know your thoughts on this

Hi all

I own a Canon 1000D and I plan to buy filters (OIII, Ha, SII) in the short term.

In order to future proof my setup I thought that I should buy my filters in a format that would fit a (future) filter wheel so when I move to a CCD camera I already have the filters part taken care of.

Naturally this brought up a question: I've never seen a setup DSLR+Filter Wheel combo. Now, this may be because I am new to this and it is in fact a common setup, I have just never seen it.

Can anyone clarify this for me, is this a good idea ? overkill ? I would hate buying the wrong filters and then have to change them in a couple of years.. and I assume that a filter wheel would be convenient for a DSLR ;)

Please let me know your thoughts on this

NB filters are solely the domain of the Cooled Mono CCDs. There is no way that you'd get any real benefit with an unmodded DSLR ( you'd need an extreme modded DSLR to Mono ). There is a way of using a Ha filter with a Modded DSLR but it is a very inefficient way of using the filter and the camera,  to top it all a DSLR would need 2" NB filters in the first place and secondly the width of the Filter Wheel will throw most of the back spacing arrangements for a reducer and a DSLR ( mostly fixed at 55~56mm of back focus ) out of the water. The old Meade/Celestron ones were fixed at 110mm but the new ones are 55mm I believe.i If you are really serious about NB imaging you are going about it the wrong way.

A.G

I use a filter tray with my DSLR but I have a quadruplet so spacing is of no concern so long as I can reach focus.

I don't use a wheel as I don't change filters that much and my mount wouldn't like the weight.

You can of course use narrowband with a DSLR but if you are shooting Ha only 1 in 4 pixels will be able to saturate.

It could be useful for cutting through LP on faint emission nebula since you are only interested in the HA anyway and can quickly get the stars with a UHC filter or similar then combine them.

TSED70Q, iOptron Smart EQ pro, ASI-120MM, Finepix S5 pro.

Great answers from all of you guys (and girls ?)

I've done some research in the meantime and found 1 guy who uses the filter wheel to switch from his CLS filter to a 'black' filter to do darks ;) a bit of an overkill IMHO

So I'll stick to my plan and only buy a CLS filter for the camera and once I get to the point of contemplating a CCD imaging  I'll get what's needed ...

Archived