NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Advice on older Nexstar 8SE mount

Hi there,

I'd appreciate any advice you guys and girls have on servicing Celestron kit.  Have you ever used a service like this ( UK based ) ?

I have a Celestron Nexstar 8SE which has been stored in an an attic for a few years - but I am keen to get back into the swing so dusted it off at the weekend.

My first use was disappointing in how poor the star align was - way off the mark.  During the session I also noticed what I can only describe as 'clutching' where the directional buttons caused the mount to make a distressed noise before jerking around.

My thoughts are this goes beyond simple home repair - I need an expert !  So I wonder if any of you can recommend a company would service a 8SE mount for me?

Thanks in advance....

Sounds like a dodgy power connection somewhere along the line, Mechanics rarely deteriorate whilst stored but electrical connections often do. An intermittent power supply could cause the "jerking" and this could affect the GOTO accuracy.   :smiley: 

I seem to remember a similar thread to this.The problem turned out to be that the grease in the mount had gone hard over a long period of time and a very thorough clean and regrease solved the problem.I had the same problem when I bought my cg5 s/h.

Archived