Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

The Blackest Black

scarp15

Forgive me if this topic has already been aired. However there was a feature on the Today programme concerning a recent new material and potential paint that is so black it absorbs 99.96% of all light that hits it. It has been invented by a UK company Vantablack which employed nanotechnology creating, I believe a minute forest of dense fibres, a bit like an extremely compact thick forest. The interview was with artist & sculptor Anish Kapoor, who is to experiment with the material in a paint  formula. 

I guess that it could be put to future use in amateur astronomy terms as a flocking material / paint, light shrouds and for painting the interior domes of observatory's.

Good black paint ain't so bad.... There are a number that are >95% absorbing. I have some that would work if your scope was on Venus (ok, clouds would also be a problem). Some of these super blacks are rather fragile due to their light trapping design. If you image I would avoid black flocking material as it reflects the near IR (though some carpet material is fine... )

Cheers

Peter

Archived