NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Iridium 32 Flare near Orion

I thought I had guessed right on the location of the flare. But, I missed it by a little...should have taken at 70mm instead of 90mm...

I still like Orion's belt and M42 on the side.

This is a 15 sec. exposure @f6.3 taken with a Canon XT and Sigma 70-300mm DG APO - @90mm.

Doug

Thanks for the nice comments guys. I get email notices from CalSky when a Flare is visible in my location. If the weather and work cooperate, I try to capture some of the brighter ones. When I saw the location for this one on a chart, I thought Orion would be in the fov too.

If you plan to image one of the IF's, be ready with camera all-set. Most of them only last for 10-30 seconds. So, some practice exposures for focus and sky glow for f-stop and duration are advised. These flares are always on time...sometimes they'll surprise you.

Since they are phantom-like satellites, you may get hooked looking for them frequently. Some are just average, but many are great at mag. -6 to -8 if you get a good flash from the rotating antenna.

Thanks again chaps,

Good hunting.

Doug

Archived