NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

IC1396 2x2 mosaic under a poor sky (130pds)

Uranium235

Well, ive decided not to bother setting up tonight - the state of the sky didnt look too inviting - very soupy.  It was much the same when I shot the data for IC1396, with the addition of a full moon - so some of the finer detail has been lost in the mush a bit. The sky quality didnt help much on the noise front either, but im hoping more subs under better conditions will fix that little problem.

So, time to process what I have.... which turned out slightly better than I thought it would as I managed to squeeze in the garnet star. But its still well noisy in some places, so please forgive if its not up to scratch... will try better next time! :p

IC1396:

6x900 (Ha) 2x2 bin, x4 panes

130pds, Atik 383L+, NEQ6, MPCC MkIII

Calib: Flats & Bias

Resolution: 3.4" p/p

Thanks for looking! :)

Rob

15014473529_6f8ed7970b_b.jpg

Fullsize here:

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5570/15014473529_df150fc7f0_o.jpg

RikM, on 10 Sept 2014 - 8:52 PM, said:

Very nice Rob. You have managed to get way more contrast than I managed with 1200 sec subs.

Cheers Rik :) I think the contrast might have something to do with the binning. I know I shouldnt do it, but its only a tiny bit lower in resolution (0.2") than what you would get from a 71mm frac. I keep toying with the idea of an 8" for rmore resolution when binning, but I cant see that going down too well with the financial director.

Thanks Guy!

I was out last night as an unexpected clear slot opened up. So Ive managed to add another hour to each pane, and it really has helped with the noise and reinforced the dark stuff. Still not a good sky, but its better than a poke in the eye I guess :)

15217331271_4eb4f469da_b.jpg

Fullsize here:

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5573/15217331271_8fa73d04d1_o.jpg

Very nice indeed, Rob... (again!).  The initial result was excellent (especially considering the full moon), but the extra Ha has certainly improved it even further.  It's only recently that I've started noticing the bok globules around 11-12 o'clock on the outer edge of your frame, and you've captured them really well. (Remind me - which filters do you use?  I'd like to think that I can normally tell the difference between 3nm and 7nm...!)

Thanks Andy :)  The filter used was the good ol' Baader 7nm (2"), Ive also started noticing more things in the image too since adding the extra data - lots of little dark bok globs. But ive been mostly concentrating on the dark stuff at 3 and 8 o'clock, if you can get those ones clean then the rest of the image should follow nicely.

Maybe another 90min per pane should be enough, after which I might skip the colour (this is the point where im starting to miss my twin shooter!). I have been toying with the idea of using the 1000d to collect OIII data, but that would involve a newtonian twin shooter.... and I dont think anyone has been bonkers enough to try that! :D

Thanks Andy :)  The filter used was the good ol' Baader 7nm (2"), Ive also started noticing more things in the image too since adding the extra data - lots of little dark bok globs. But ive been mostly concentrating on the dark stuff at 3 and 8 o'clock, if you can get those ones clean then the rest of the image should follow nicely.

Maybe another 90min per pane should be enough, after which I might skip the colour (this is the point where im starting to miss my twin shooter!). I have been toying with the idea of using the 1000d to collect OIII data, but that would involve a newtonian twin shooter.... and I dont think anyone has been bonkers enough to try that! :D

You may try to collect the oiii with the ed80 if it's just for colour. I mixed the 130 with the megrez 72 with some success, you'll need to deal carefuly with the oiii stars in postprocessing though but you are a master with stars already!

E.

I have tried combining both 80ED and 130pds data already with some good results. But.... the only time it works effectively for me is if the 80ED data is colour and the 130 is Lum, because if I combined 80ED OIII data with 130pds Ha I would end up with red diffraction spikes everywhere - which I found to be a little difficult to fix.

I have tried combining both 80ED and 130pds data already with some good results. But.... the only time it works effectively for me is if the 80ED data is colour and the 130 is Lum, because if I combined 80ED OIII data with 130pds Ha I would end up with red diffraction spikes everywhere - which I found to be a little difficult to fix.

Right. But the elephant trunk is probably one case in which the oiii can be used just for colour.

Right. But the elephant trunk is probably one case in which the oiii can be used just for colour.

Yeah, the OIII in IC1396 doesnt really carry any structure - thats why I was thinking about using another camera to grab it. But the DSLR would have to be on equally fast or faster optics given the reduced sensitivity of a CMOS chip - which kinda rules the 80ed out. I could set it up the other way round (CCD on the frac, DSLR on the newt), but im loathed to mess with a setlled setup now.

Archived