Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Solar Sunday 7th September

Pig

Good morning all :laugh:

The sun was shining through the window at 8am this morning so I grabbed the scopes and went into the rear garden, it was a bit chilly so I ran back upstairs and put my trousers and jumper on :grin: poor neighbours.

There was a big bank of cloud on its way so I got straight to it.

9mm Vixen SLV and Lunt 60 Ha

Excellent granulation today, the surface is peppered with it swirling and twisting in abundance, all the rain must have cleared the atmosphere.

There are several prominences around the disc the best being a detached prom in the 8 O'clock position, there are some small and beautifully fine proms around the 5 O'clock positions and a caterpillar shaped prom developing at about 4 O'clock ( I named it Luke :grin: )

There is also a lovely area of Plage toward the 10 O'clock position.

4mm Vixen SLV 80mm Equinox and Herschel wedge - white light

There are 2 huge areas of sunspot activity around the 5 & 6 O'clock positions, most spectacular.

Once again the rain last night has cleared proceedings up wonderfully and the details around the Penumbra and Crotchets surrounding the spots are mind bogglingly excellent.

The granulation can also be seen clearly in white light, so another bonus

The sunspot responsible for the Plaged area at 10 O'clock is smaller than I thought it would be considering how bright it is in Ha.

That's all for the time being as the clouds have rolled over :laugh:

Lets hope it clears up as forecast for 10 am.

I seem to be talking to myself in this thread :grin:

The proms in the 5 O'clock position have moved to about the  2 O'clock position and have really started to come to life, they are quite dynamic at the moment and are very bright indeed, the 11 O'clock prom is still erupting like mad.

Luke the caterpillar has either gone for a wander or has amalgamated with the other proms

The large spot goups looked spectacular in both Ha and WL filters with plenty of bright regions (fac / plage) seen in both too.

I had some thin cloud above me so only the close, bright areas of the prominences were visible to be.

Its clouded right out now of course but not a bad early to mid morning

Mick

Well I must say a very enjoyable and relaxing solar Sunday, the sun really played ball today with some wonderful sights :smiley: unfortunately it has dropped out of view from my back garden so I will call it a day.

I swapped the wine for some Dandelion & Burdock :grin:

Sunday has hardly been relaxing, what with me having to rewire the lighting in our bathroom, just because we had a new medicine cabinet (with mirrors AND lighting) to replace the battered old one above the washbasin. Not a fun job but the result looks good. Looking at the sun was a much-needed relaxation

Archived