Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

QHY5, Maxim and PHD guiding: HELP!

Hi Folks

I've just had a bit of a frustrating couple of days trying to get autoiguiding set up on my gear. I am using a WO66 on a side by side plate (with a Megrez 90 to image), with a 2" extender and a QHY5 guide camera on an HEQ5 attached with an RJ11. Everything set up ok, but when i try to get an image on screen, no luck. I have installed all drivers and the camera is working. Both sets of software pick up the camera.

I've fiddled endlessly with the gain control and focus, but no joy. Oddly i am able to get the mount guided with Maxim, with the gain down to about 3%, but again nothing on the main screen. I can clearly see the readouts here, and hear the mount moving, and can see a little square where a star has obviously been picked out. But the main screen seems blank and i cannot change stars if i wanted to, or be sure i have a good focus. Depending on the gain setting, i get complete black, or total fuziness, or bands etc etc. I get little else on PHD, but not sure which telescope system to pick with the drop down menu on PHD.

What silly thing am i doing wrong, pray tell? Thank for any advice. PB

HI PB i know this might sound stupid,i bought a laptop with vista installed,

got all drivers to work but big problems in maxim dl as well as PHD.

so back to winxp, where everthing works a treat these are the drivers i use

they work fine in Maxim dl and PHD, hope they help.

1:GENERIC%20QHY5%20driver http://ukastronomers.com/plPluto/action/download_files/fileid/27

3:Maxim DL Plugins http://ukastronomers.com/plPluto/action/download_files/fileid/29

PB, I'm using the QHY5/ZS66/PHD XP combo as well and I use the sct/2in adaptor plus a 2in extender to get easy focus without racking out focusser too far. There is a display gamma control in PHD which helps a bit- have you got the brightness very low on the laptop display (a bit obvious, I know!), When I first started, I focussed on Mars just to get something bright onscreen.

I think I'm using the supplied driver and 'CCD labs Q guider' camera setting and 'on-camera' mount setting in PHD with ST4 cable from camera to EQ6 Pro mount, USB from camera to laptop, obviously. I'm not using Maxim as yet as I'm using a DSLR - is there a problem between your 2 cameras, perhaps?

Mark

Hi Mark

Thanks for this very much. Will try the settings on the pc - not obvious at all and a good point. I'm using your exact set up, but have not started using the Atik as yet as wanted to get the guider running. Will try mars and see how i get on. Will let you know.

Thanks to whiplash and pluto!

PB

• 1 year later...

Archived