NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Telescope newbie

Jen68

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Brave Sir Robin mentions removal of the corrector lens in your telescope. In my opinion, this is not practical, or even improves anything. I have the Celestron 127EQ and I have not seen any improvement after fully collimating the telescope using the tools available too me. Using just a collimation cap is sufficient for non-parabolic mirrors to have a satisfactory collimated telescope. You only need to just see the edges of the primary mirror clips ? You would need to remove that corrector lens if you were to try to collimate the telescope using a laser for the initial collimation set-up. But you could leave it in place to Barlow/Laser the primary mirror, but as the primary mirror is not centre spotted, laser collimation is a waste of time, without the primary mirror having a centre spot. This involves removing the primary mirror and adding your own centre spot. The telescopes user manual suggests using their special collimating tool- cap, or return to factory for collimation. A cap can be made just by centre drilling the focuser dust cap, or modifying an old 35mm film case. Newtonian's do need collimating, but you shouldn't need to dismantle the telescope. Accept that the " Bird-Jones" type corrector/ Barlow lens is necessary, it allows for a shorter constructed telescope tube, but with an effectively longer focal-length. Enjoy the telescope as it is, and without possibly knowing its limitations, you will still have many hours of enjoyment with the basic set-up, and following the manuals instruction for set-up for this scope alone. I bought my Celestron about 11 months ago. I made my decision on the first night of use that i needed something better. In comparison, there is no competition to my signature scope, and absolutely no regrets, and more importantly, I find the 200P easier to use, more practical, and the views are brilliant and an f/6 ratio telescope makes eyepiece selection easy too.

It was great fun for me stripping the Celestron127, and I learnt much from the exercise, but the end result for me, was no more rewarding in regards to its performance, over just following the  simple collimation cap method. All telescopes have their limits, including mine! To pass or better those limits you need to purchase something up at the next level, whatever that is. I'm fully happy with the my present telescope and its known limitation.  Enjoy many dark skies ahead with your new hobby, and as already mentioned, the whole family is involved. Thats a great start, that alone saves many an argument between partners, about the need to buy something extra or new. If your all interested, than its almost a certainty, that something new will arrive, one day?

When folk talk of collimation, we usually guide folk here. This is the process that is required for Normal Newtonian's? http://www.astro-baby.com/collimation/astro%20babys%20collimation%20guide.htm

Welcome to SGL.

Archived