Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Some nice new objects; but the dew!!

Stridor

Great sky last night, was able to tick off a few more interesting DSO`s ; M11 in Scutum (Wild Duck cluster) very nice. M76 in Vulpecula (Little Dumbbell Neb) ;  a very pleasing NGC 1502 in Camelopardalis, an Asterism known as `Kemble`s cascade`; the stunning Double Cluster in Perseus, NGCs 869 & 884. Also got my first viewing of Uranus, didn`t blow me away, but was able to note blue/green colouring and was pleased to have viewed it. Finished off with NGC 6934 in Delphinus (Caldwell 47) a globular with an unresolved core.

All good and I was satisfied with my couple of hours; but the Dew! I had the dew shield + dew heater tape so the scope was ok, but everything else was dripping!! I have a table for Star Atlas / pencil and notebook etc and sitting over this I have an old double glazed window raised up on the four corners so that I can have everything protected from the dew. Dew was still a major hinderance though; how do you cope with this problem? I suppose so long as the scope and Eyepieces are ok we just have to grin and bear it.

Nice report. There is one minor mix-up here: the Little Dumbbell is in Perseus, its big brother is in Vulpecula, so I wonder which one was spotted. I cope with dew in part by keeping my star atlas and notebook indoors (in an unlit kitchen) and trot up and down a lot. I also keep the lid closed on my EP case so no moisture gets in

Nice report. There is one minor mix-up here: the Little Dumbbell is in Perseus, its big brother is in Vulpecula, so I wonder which one was spotted. 

Thanks; I knew it was in Perseus; I had also observed NGC 6940; which is in Vulpecula...........I copied it down from my notes wrongly  :embarassed:

Dew.....! A major issue in the British Autumn!

I use an extended "lens hood" made from a cheapo camping mat plus velcro sticky pads, sprayed matt black. It puts off dewing for a bit, but doesn't prevent it.

I borrowed a dew strip from a colleague and tried it but gave up as I was convinced (may be subjective rather than objective) it was worsening seeing, ie the scope was looking through a tube of air which had been heated slightly.

Chris

Well done on that list and I've been meaning to bag the Wild Duck ever since I saw it mentioned in a bins report. Did you see any surrounding nebulosity? Kemble's Cascade is a good find and not as easy to locate in light polluted skies.

No dew just north of London last night but its on its way for sure.

Archived