Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Celestron C8 Edge HD, any benefit at all for visual??

Just a quick question, I know the edge HD C8 has some benefits for large sensor astrophotography, but would there be any benefit to visual observers using widefield eyepieces, e.g. 82 degrees,

Just wondering, no reason ;)

Chris

I first tried my Pentax XW 30 in a C8 and saw bloated starting halve way through the fov. My Edge HD 8 now shows pin point starts nearly all the way to the field stop.

The XW30 might be a special case though as its inherent field curvation adds to the filed curvation present in the C8.

Thanks chaps:-) I suspected this was the case. when I googled the question the blurb on retailers sites seemed to suggest there would be little benefit for visual observers but maybe they meant with 1.25 inch plossls? It made sense to me that a 2 inch widefield ep would perhaps be a different story.

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/cpc-deluxe-hd/celestron-cpc-deluxe-800-hd.html

Sold my C11 & bought this a few months ago.

The optics on this are way in front of the C11.

Best scope I have ever had.It is £500 more than the

CPC 800.Worth every penny.Visual & Imaging,it is way

in front of anything I have had.It performs more like

a big refractor,than a SCT.

Steve.

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/cpc-deluxe-hd/celestron-cpc-deluxe-800-hd.htmlSold my C11 & bought this a few months ago.The optics on this are way in front of the C11.Best scope I have ever had.It is £500 more than theCPC 800.Worth every penny.Visual & Imaging,it is wayin front of anything I have had.It performs more likea big refractor,than a SCT.Steve.[/quote

Great! A C11 is a difficult scope to compete against so what a glowing report for the edge:-)

Ok, I'll let the cat out the bag, I'm looking at upgrading my obsy setup from an eq3 pro and 4 inch refractor to this:

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/advanced-vx-goto/celestron-c8-edge-hd-vx-goto.html

The avx mount would be a step up from the eq3 and the ota works out to be 780 quid if bought as a package with the mount.

Just thinking at this stage as it would mean re selling my skymax 150 I've only just bought.

Ps very nice looking portable scope by the way and great pic!

What you have got at the moment is a

good set up.The eq3 pro mount, is good

for the scopes you have got.Your at a

cross roads.I went for the CPC type of

scope, because I don't do DSO imaging.

I thought long & hard about spending 2k  

on another scope. It is so easy to set up,

and portable, after my CG-5 mount.

Steve

Archived