NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Tracking on SW Auto Dob "jumps"

Space Cowboy

Just wondered if anyone had a suggestion for fixing my Skywatcher Auto Dobsonians "tick" during tracking. This has been a issue for some time but has become more regular lately. One moment the tracking is running very nicely and then it starts to jump with the object drifting momentarily in AZ and then being snatched back roughly every second. You can hear a tick sound as it does this. Its becoming a big issue when imaging the planets and I'm losing many frames of capture through blurring of the planet as it is snatched across the screen.

Has anyone else had this issue and cured it? I tried a different hand set but made no difference.

I had this problem too and massive backlash in the gears, if I wanted to go somewhere else it took an age to remove the backlash.  Not what you want to hear I am sure but In the end I converted back to a manual Dob.  It's much more enjoyable.

I don't have such an issue but I did want to service my GoTo. What struck me was that I couldn't find a service manual or a strip down guide anywhere. There are plenty for my HEQ5 pro mount but can I find one for the SW Dob Goto. No. Hopefully someone will direct us both to same.

• 1 month later...

Decided to slacken the AZ tension nut today and set the scope tracking indoors. For the first hour or so the tracking sounded smooth but then the ticking started so gave the tension nut another tweak and the ticking reduced and with another small turn of the nut the ticking stopped. Reckon I've slackened the tension nut about half a turn in total. Looks clear tonight so will be able to do a proper test.

Archived