Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Would you take your Scopes into the desert?

Wow! such a great set of responses.

It seems to matter and for the record, it is Saudi, along the Gulf. From what I can see, the land is pretty flat, but the opportunity to capture M42 so high in the sky in almost impossible to resist.

RL; you worry me !! All my stuff will be handled by a shipping company and will be responsible for looking after it, so hopefully, they will get through. Also, the comments abourt the Gulf conditions doesn't sound good, but I am looking to take off for the odd weekend, especially over the winter and go further inland. Hopefully, the conditions will improve after 50 or 100 miles, or so.

The project I am workng on will keep me occupied for a lot of the time and I am really looking for something to allow me to unplug from the pressure and schedule. I will have access to transport and a driver to take me wherever I want to go, so don't think it will be a problem getting about.

I am pleased to hear from the Dob Mob ! I was thinking of getting the OO Dob mount for the 12", rather than adding a SW 16" to my collection. Along with the NEQ6, I could choose what configuration suited my available time. My EP collection is comparatively poor, but spans from 3.5mm to 40mm, but then again, my eyesight is probably worse.

Matthew, thanks for the link to your Oman experience; It is saved as a favourite and I will read more thoroughly when I get some time and it is just the sort of positive I needed about taking my stuff with me.

SkyGibbon, our medical department has shared the list of "nasties" I might meet on a dark night, so lots of care required and lots of bug sprays, etc.

Thanks for the thoughts, Ronin, yes it wil be hard work, but I am hoping it will also be a lot of fun. I have met many of the Engineers that will be involved and they are such an interesting bunch. I am also thinking about a bigger Frac than the 80mm, but which one and what do I leave behind?

Scott, thanks for the offer !! Even Mrs Bukko is staying here, at least until I get my part of the project under control.

Also, many thanks to the USA postings. I have been working on a couple of projects, the second is being engineered in Texas and it was a close thing if I transferred there instead.

Olly, Lawrence of Arabia is my new favourite movie ! I have been made to promise I will dress up like him and post a selfie with me on a camel. Myt sand is pretty abrasive and even if the mirrors are OK, I am concerned at the particulates getting into the focusing mechanisms and then I need to replace them when I get back. (I am always looking for an excuse to upgrade, but what is an upgrade from a Feathertouch, though ??)

Steve, I had to laugh at your aperture fever !! Will you lend me your 20" Dob? I promise to look after it...

Kev, from your earlier post, I have checked the cost of a mirror re-coat. Providing I don't damage the glass while cleaning, the re-coat would be a cost effective option, compared to purchasing a "cheap" scope and I will then have the 1/10th wave, for that single night when the skies are truly clear.

I have a meeting in a couple of weeks with the carriers and will ask about the shipment and if they see there being a problem. I have told our HR people that I expect to be doing this and they didn't say no and my chats with the Saudi guys got only positives.

I still have a few months while I get my work permit sorted, so plenty of time to get anything else.

So, is the consensus to take everything and try not to break it?

Gordon.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Maybe things have changed in Saudi...

anything they didn't understand was looked upon with the greatest suspicion and that definitely included large telescopes. Up to about 6" reflector you could buy locally in the camera shops in Khobar market.

When I was there you couldn't travel (legally) more than 50km from your place of residence without a permit although this was not often enforced.....It was ok until you got stuck or broke down. All along the Gulf coast from Dhahran northwards was very light polluted so you had to go a long way inland to have any chance of clear skies, and to get away from the oppressive humidity near the costal strip.

Let us know how you get on...

RL

Thanks, RL,

The intention is to make stargazing a social thing. I always enjoy sharing the pastime and there is no way I would go out alone.

I will have a full residency permit, so expect this will allow me to go to most places, but it is now on my list of things to ask about.

I knew about the scorpions but not the camel spiders!! I will look out for them.

And when I get there and set up, I promise an update.

Gordon.

Hi, Peter,

Absolutely!!

I could work my Lunt from my apartment, or wherever and am considering getting a better "portable" mount, rather than taking my old EQ3-2. Mybe something like the EQ5 synscan woudl be a good compromise on portability and ease of use. As I already have the NEQ6 with handset, this would not require me learning to operate something different.

In the meantime, picking up on RL's coments about the border controls, I have sent an email to the Saudi HR guy to tell me if I am likely to have a problem. THEY have asked for ME to help them, so they will need to make sure I am OK.

And I have added the Camel Spiders to my "watch out" list !!

Gordon.

Definitely a rare opportunity, sounds cool! If it were me, I think I'd ship the OO and Equinox and include all the paraphernalia for observing. I'd rather have the gear I'm familiar with, and those two scopes should give you coverage of about anything. If the logistics of porting stuff around is a headache the equinox will make it simpler. Personally, I wouldn't worry about unlikely damage. I'd drop the photographic equipment off the list If the astro is going to be more social, maybe.

OK, time to summarise where we've got to...

Firstly, a big load of thanks to all the people who replied. Every one added to my thought process; both the respondents urging caution (my personal view) and the Bulls, proposing I throw caution to the wind !!!

So, I intend to try and take the lot.

To make sure it get's through, I have contacted the shippers for advice and assurances if they fail to get it to Saudi, they will get it back to Blighty safe and sound.

I have also emailed our HR contact in Saudi for his opinion. If everyone agrees, then I will have everything shipped (Except for my pier and Skyshed Pod... tempted to sell the Pod, as it will have no purpose for a long time...)

While there, I will not be permitted to drive, but there is a small fleet of MPV's we share, with drivers. They look pretty big, (the cars, not the drivers) so there will be loads of room for an expedition.

Upgrades.

I would like to make the most of the opportunity and want as much flexibility as I can.

So I am planning to get the OO Dob mount for the 12", so with the NEQ6, I can have the best of both worlds.

I don't want to bring my EQ3-2, as it's not so flexible, so am looking to get an EQ5 with a synscan controller, so it will cope with either solar tracking with the Lunt, or imaging M42 with the Equinox.

My eyesight is terribly short sighted with astigmatism, so I am sure my EP collection is more than up to it.

I have enough time, so am considering sending the SBIG back to the States for an overhaul and clean, then bring my entire imaging train.

So, once again, many, many thanks to all the respondents and I hope it has been an interesting thread to everyone.

Gordon.

Archived